Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Forgot to put salt in challah...

SS6099

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 12:08 pm
I baked a batch of challah yesterday and forgot to put in salt Sad Any way to salvage other than French toast? So frustrating Sad

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 9:17 pm
Funny you should say that--I made the same mistake, but caught it as I was setting the dough to rise. I worked in some table salt (wasn't sure kosher salt would dissolve completely) and am hoping for the best. But frankly my challah is edible even without salt, if not quite as tasty. I don't know why yours wouldn't be.

anonymom

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 9:33 pm
sprinkle it with cinnamon and it will taste like cake.

MamaBear

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 9:33 pm
It's super dense right? I did that once...sorry! Use it for a challah kugel or gourmet croutons. Trust me, you never make this mistake twice...

SS6099

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 10:15 pm
Thanks for the suggestions! The challah is already baked, but here's the problem: I made a double batch off challah (10 lbs) and put salt in only one of them Sad
There's no way of me knowing which ones have salt! So I guess we'll be sprinkling salt on top on shabbos if I serve the salt less challah lol! Dh and the kids are fine, it's just me who's upset Sad

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 10:34 pm
Forgot salt once, it rose fine, and tasted fine after sprinkling a little salt on top of each slice. Let dh taste the first piece when he cuts it, if it's the unsalted one then he can sprinkle some on the rest as he serves it.

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 10:42 pm
Don't you dip challah into salt for motzi anyway?

rena18

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 11:07 pm
I did that last week with my breadmaker challah and didn't realize until fri night. It didn't seem to bother anyone because it was all finished. The texture was the same as usual.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads