Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ride from BP to Columbia children's hospital

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 8:54 pm
I am in the hospital with our baby due to infection and I need family members to come relieve me so I can shower and come back.
I called bikur cholim but their bus doesn't go to Columbia.
Chesed said they help patients with extended hospital stay.
Chai lifeline I left a message, don't know if they can still make arrangements for tomorrow.
Any ideas? It's hard for my mom to take two trains.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 10:37 pm
amother wrote:
I am in the hospital with our baby due to infection and I need family members to come relieve me so I can shower and come back.
I called bikur cholim but their bus doesn't go to Columbia.
Chesed said they help patients with extended hospital stay.
Chai lifeline I left a message, don't know if they can still make arrangements for tomorrow.
Any ideas? It's hard for my mom to take two trains.

When do you need a ride for? Maybe I can drive her.

Happy 2B

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 12:15 am
That's what the organization chesed does they drive family members to patients in hospitals you have to register the patient and then anyone can call.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 12:18 am
Happy 2B wrote:
That's what the organization chesed does they drive family members to patients in hospitals you have to register the patient and then anyone can call.

Op mentioned that they help patients with longer hospitalization.

OP try them anyway. They might have a patient there who needs a ride tomorrow and your mother can share a car with that person.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 12:19 am
mommy2b2c wrote:
When do you need a ride for? Maybe I can drive her.

That's an amazing offer. Columbia is quite far.

Last edited by youngishbear on Thu, Jun 18 2015, 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 7:32 am
Well, I did say maybe. Where is it?

youngishbear

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 7:47 am
mommy2b2c wrote:
Well, I did say maybe. Where is it?

All the way up at the tip of Manhattan. In the 100's.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 8:22 am
No suggestions other than to say that while it is 2 subway lines, it's till an easy trip. D to 125th and transfer right across the platform to the A. Obviously if your mom is elderly subway travel might be difficult, but if she's not, it's a very easy trip. Refuah shelaima

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 8:23 am
youngishbear wrote:
All the way up at the tip of Manhattan. In the 100's.

Not at all the point, but it's not at the tip of manhattan by some margin. It's on 168th street and the tip of manhattan is 220th street. But yep, it's pretty far uptown

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 8:40 am
I am VERY surprised by what Chesed told you.
Every time I had a child hospitalized even for just 2-3 days they had rides for me.
Are you sure?
Can you try calling them again? This really surprises me.
Can you tell them that if they happen to have a car taking someone else to Columbia if they can include you?

youngishbear

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 8:52 am
pesek zman wrote:
Not at all the point, but it's not at the tip of manhattan by some margin. It's on 168th street and the tip of manhattan is 220th street. But yep, it's pretty far uptown

True. I didn't actually check the map, I just know it's very far uptown. The farthest of the popularly used NYC hospitals. And I remember a particularly grueling trip there through NYC traffic... So I second the subway idea.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 9:13 am
Thank you everyone! BH my friend is able to take my mom and bring me home. I will take the subway back.
mommy2b2c, that was really sweet of you to offer.
pezek, I know it's a hard trip and not easier by car over the train, but for my mom the train is too much for her. I myself took the train back and forth yesterday even though I was mentally and physically drained and did not want to bother anyone.
Mama Bear, this is Chesed BP, separate from Chesed Williamsburg. I already spoke to them at length, nothing doing. This doesn't surprise me btw, we've been in touch with them previously when my friend had a chronic condition that she was going to the doctor for once a week for procedures and they weren't able to help then either.
Keser Malka is out for service now too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics