Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
International moving tips

bigbird

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 7:16 pm
Our shipment is due to leave next week, so we'll be about 6-8 weeks without the bulk of our stuff. Anyone who's BTDT with any helpful tips? Anything we should or shouldn't send or anything else you've learned from your experience that we should keep in mind? I'm strangely relaxed about the whole thing... What am I missing?

TIA!

Gerbera

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 10:58 pm
Our shipment arrived five weeks later than it was supposed to. We didn't have much choice when deciding what to ship and what not to as we were flying and had limited baggage allowance. Our experience was fine....we were totally relaxed too...not much you can do!

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 8:01 am
I've posted some advice from my own experience on a different but recent thread.

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....ight=

I cannot stress enough the importance of having a complete house item list.
The list should include Box #/ Room/ Content/ Description including numbers of items
and special instructions. This is the only way you can keep an eye on your belongings
and will be required in case of (lo aleinu) insurance claims, as well as orderly moving-in
once the shipment arrives.

We learned not to have more than two teams of packers working simultaneously--that way
DH and I can direct what gets packed and how, and tick off the list. Have someone look
after the children if they're young or not at school when the movers come. (both outgoing
and incoming). Make sure you're dealing with reliable removal companies and always
get a quote.

Make sure you get the content cover properly--we had a few wooden furniture damaged
due to moisture during transport/warehouse storage, but the insurer gave heavy
discount to the value due to depreciation.
For an expensive/special items, take photos so you have something to compare to
in case of (lo aleinu) damage.

Also think ahead about what you and the family would need for the next 4-6weeks.
Think about what you would bring with you in suitcases, and what you would ship by
air (unaccompanied luggages--they are shipped by air but comes separately. Good for
bulky but light items because they're charged by weight. Check with your airlines if
they can give you a discount BEFOREHAND, make sure to get multiple quotes).

Think about possible differences in weather changes--when we first moved to UK
I never thought I would need woollen clothes as early as Sept/Oct!
On the other hand, I would not have thought of bringing summer clothes as early as
April to Israel. Make a list of things you'll need for the first 4-6 weeks--don't pack away
important documents.

Check about any possible import duty regulation of the country you're moving to.
(Esp on household electronics, alcohol drinks). Save receipts if necessary.

Usually you get a call from the removal company rep once your container arrives to the port.
It may take a short while for the content to clear the customs, then you'll need to
arrange the transfer from the port to where the content needs to be moved eventually.
Just something to think about, unless you already have the house/flat you're moving to.
(We were in a temporary accommodation so had to ask them to store the content in a
warehouse for a few more weeks before we sort out the permanent address).

Hatzlacha for an easy move!

bigbird

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 8:26 am
Very helpful, thank you! Was there anything you thought you might not need in the 4-6 week interim that you did or vice versa?

I'm a bit worried about some boxes we have in our garage. They're sorted in that we know we're shipping everything inside them, but they're all just a jumble of things, no rhyme or reason. Will the packers go through them and pick out those things that need to be packed separately, particularly, photos?

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 10:49 am
About the boxes, I don't think you can expect packers to sort through things and repack. They would be rather rushed to get the job done, so most likely they would dump all boxes in a container. Esp for things like photos, I would make sure to take them out and pack separately.

I forgot to mention but you may want to check what the insurance coverage is if you are the one to do the packing. Often the refuse to reimburse you for any damages if you packed items yourselves.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating