Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Projects, arts n crafts, oh my!

acccdac

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 11:25 am
My 8 year old son, more than my 5 year old daughter, likes to do arts n crafts.

I have all the supplies at home.

He made a portfolios and file folders out of construction paper (his rebbe taught him how). He is so proud of himself and it's a good thing because it keeps him occupied plus he gets satisfaction from working with his hands.

The problem is I have all of these projects hanging around with no purpose or place. I can't throw them out while he is away (like I do with the 5 year old) because he knows it's missing

Any ideas?

mha3484

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 11:33 am
I take photos of my 4 year old holding his projects and send to relatives. Than I don't feel so bad getting rid of them. He has a drawer in his room where he can keep the things he likes the most. You can also pawn them off on relatives.

cbg

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 3:53 pm
Maybe sit down with him and let him choose which to keep and which to toss. Take a picture of the ones you are tossing. You can't keep everything. Every 3-6 months do the same.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 5:43 pm
DD (4 1/2) has a drawer where she keeps her special things. When it starts to look overflowing, she (I taught her how and provided more guidance the first couple of times, now she basically does it when I tell her it's time) goes through each thing and decides which ones she "doesn't need anymore."

We often take pictures of projects as they come (while they're still special) so there is some record to keep. Then she keeps most for a while. By the time we purge, she doesn't feel so attached to most anymore.

Some things get hung up, and generally when they fall down of their own accord they "disappear."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics