Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Indian Village -Baltimore

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 9:54 am
Anyone have any info on the housing/people /shuls in the area?

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 10:14 am
I lived there for about 8 years before moving closer in again (not because of the neighborhood). It's a growing area with a bunch of young couples with little kids in the area (depending on the street, there may not be many). On our old block, I think there are about 4-5 young frum families now. It's a mix of types. There are a few families that have been there for a lot longer that are affiliated with Ner Tamid/ Beth Tefiloh. There's also a few families that have high school age kids that are more to the right than that, but not too many. There's one kind of close shul- Rabbi Teichman's, that's near where Sanzo (Clark's Lane) hits Smith. Otherwise, people walk to Rabbi Berger's or to shuls in Ranchleigh. The houses tend to be on the small side, but it does make them less expensive too.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 10:42 am
Thank you or your response. just curios-why did you move away from the area? Are there people moving in and liking it tyhere?

MrsDash

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 11:12 am
When I lived in that area, there wasn't much going on, but the last time I visited Baltimore, there appeared to be a very large frum community there.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 11:42 am
We moved b/c my husband wanted to live closer to his family who mostly live 2 miles away from there.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 12:30 pm
I live in Wellwood, which is basically the next neighborhood over from Indian Village - there are a TON of frum people in Indian Village now. The ones I know are mostly growing youngish families (but it could be I know those people because that's where I fit in). Houses are reasonably-priced, it's county rather than city, so property taxes are not exorbitant and it's a nice place to live. There aren't a ton of shuls right there, but there are plenty within not too far walking distance.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 12:52 pm
Houses generally range from 200,000 to 300,000 depending on size and fixed up state and block. Houses range from 3-6 bedrooms. R' Teichman's shul is right there. R' Weis's is less than a 10 minute walk. R' Berger is a 15 min walk. It is a youngish area. Like the rest of Baltimore, it is a mix of yeshivish, modern and every type in between. People who own homes there range from 20's to 40's. A lot of young children and grass. We are looking at homes here now because we have so many friends.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 3:10 pm
amazing thanks for the help. Any other areas that have young families moving in with lots of grass and nice neighbors?!?! more on the yeshivish side

MrsDash

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 4:10 pm
amother wrote:
amazing thanks for the help. Any other areas that have young families moving in with lots of grass and nice neighbors?!?! more on the yeshivish side

I think the city would be more your speed then. There are many nice sized houses, with big grassy yards, and young families. The block I grew up in is almost 100% frum now (was less than 25% back in my day.) More shuls to choose from as well.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 7:28 pm
I've heard of a bunch moving into the Strathmore/ Cross Country/ Western Run area- but it tends to be more expensive (but not always- depends on the specific house), including the taxes and water to buy in that area. There are some great yards there.

There are also loads of young families in the Wallis/ Olympia area/ Seven Mile. Some of that may be county, but I'm not sure of the back yard size. There are also lots of semi detached houses there in that specific area.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 9:22 pm
can you specify which streets are nice, young and yeshivish with nice houses and greenery?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 10:29 pm
The whole point of bAltimore is diversity. Don't be so scared of everyone. Yeshivish or not everyone is nice and down to earth

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 9:50 am
the streets I said already, plus the ranchleigh area is also nice in terms of yard space and houses. Some of that's in the county too. You might want to talk to a real estate agent. They could give you better ideas about current prices and what's available in what areas now. Also, like Ginger amother said, most places you go, there's a mix, so at least some people will be yeshivish. Anyways, where are you coming from? Your def of yeshivish may be different than ours! Also, your idea of large yards and houses might be different too!

peanutsmom

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 10:02 am
I'm originally from Baltimore-lived there for 20+years and never heard of Indian Village. Where is it? what streets are part of it?

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 10:03 am
I def hear you. I am coming from NY. I dont think I would want the areas near Reisestown Town Road. I would like at least a 4 bedroom house. I am down to earth frum etc . I would feel comfortable with my kids in a house where the kids have access to a tv internet etc. Ideally I think I would like a newly developing area where people know each other , where there are alot of young frum Bais yakov type families.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 10:17 am
peanutsmom wrote:
I'm originally from Baltimore-lived there for 20+years and never heard of Indian Village. Where is it? what streets are part of it?

Off of Smith, across from the Atrium, like Chippewa, etc

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 10:25 am
Aha! You see? To me, yeshivish means no tv! Anyways, except for the house size, Indian Village really would sound up your alley. And there are some houses with 4 bedrooms and there are plenty of houses with nice yards. Our old house, for instance had a great one. You could always find a cheaper house and add on, maybe. Wellwood is the area right next to it, very slightly more established (like by 2-3 more years) and pretty similar in terms of demographics, except many more families live there. It's closer to Sanzo/ Clarks Lane. I've heard of people buying on Lightfoot over there too.

Peanutsmom, Indian Village is where Smith and Greenspring intersect, on the opposite side of Smith from Shoppers. It's where all the Indian named streets are, like Chippewa, Cherokee, Lightfoot, and Navajo.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 11:54 am
amother wrote:
I def hear you. I am coming from NY. I dont think I would want the areas near Reisestown Town Road. I would like at least a 4 bedroom house. I am down to earth frum etc . I would feel comfortable with my kids in a house where the kids have access to a tv internet etc. Ideally I think I would like a newly developing area where people know each other , where there are alot of young frum Bais yakov type families.

There are very few 4 bedroom houses in Baltimore. I know very few people who have one that was built that way. I know people who built additions, or made a bedroom in the basement, but other than new construction , they're pretty rare in Baltimore.

Two exceptions: In the Wellwood neighborhood, there is a split level model that that has 4 bedrooms (two are tiny). Also, in the area near Darchei, my friend lives in a Cape Cod that has two bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs, and two more bedrooms on the main level.

One thing that you have in Baltimore, is that a lot of the neighborhoods have similar houses. For example, in the area near Darchei, you will find that 80% of the homes are one of 3 or 4 different models. In Wellwood, almost all the houses are 1 of 4 models. In Indian Village, there are 3 basic models, etc., etc., etc., Obviously that's not true in every single neighborhood, but you do see a lot of that.

There are a lot of nice areas with decent size homes, and good yards within the Baltimore eruv, what's your price range?

Also, your post isn't so clear. You say you're looking for a lot of "frum, BY type families" but most of those families in Baltimore are more careful about their kids access to tv, internet, etc... Most of my friends (who are not super-duper frum) who send to Bais Yakov Baltimore do monitor their kids exposure to media to some degree.....

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 6:48 pm
I disagree that 4 BR homes are rare. My parents live in Greenspring and have 4 BR's, theirs is a popular colonial model with many in the area. All 4 BR's are nice sized, actually there are 2 master BR's, each with a double closet and attached bath and the other 2 BR's each fit 3 kids no problem (no bunk beds, every kid with a space for their own dresser.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 7:16 pm
amother wrote:
I disagree that 4 BR homes are rare. My parents live in Greenspring and have 4 BR's, theirs is a popular colonial model with many in the area. All 4 BR's are nice sized, actually there are 2 master BR's, each with a double closet and attached bath and the other 2 BR's each fit 3 kids no problem (no bunk beds, every kid with a space for their own dresser.

I also disagree. Having been looking for a house in Baltimore recently, we looked at tons of 4 or 5 bedroom houses in the jewish neighborhoods including a couple of 4 bedroom houses in Indian village, Cheswolde, Greenspring, etc
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating