Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
6 year old is always "bored"

Chippies

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 8:46 pm
My 6 year old son (who is the oldest) is always complaining about being bored. He says that he doesn't want to play with any of his toys because they're all boring. He has lego, k'nex, puzzles, clics, trucks, etc, plus he knows how to read and he has tonnes of books. Whenever I get him a new book, he'll read it immediately and then never touch it again, so that at least occupies him for a little while. I go to the library often and get him new books, which helps, but again, he just reads it all in one sitting and then doesn't touch the books again. Whenever he gets a new lego set (which we would only do for a reason, like a birthday or afikomen present), he builds it all in one sitting, loving every minute of it and then plays with it for maybe a few minutes, and then he never touches it again (and, of course, refuses to take it apart). Sometimes I give him arts and crafts ideas and he'll do that for a little. But it's always up to me to give him an idea and most of the time, he refuses to do it.

The upside is that he's an extremely social kid and has a lot of friends on our street so I let him play outside with his friends after he finishes his homework. But whenever his friends are busy, or if it's a time that I just don't want him out for whatever reason, then he complains of boredom. Yesterday morning, after bothering his little sisters for a while, I told him that he must leave their room and do something else. He went downstairs and when I came down about 10 minutes later, I found him lying on the floor, kind of rolling around, with his feet tangled on the baby bouncer. There have been many other instances like this where I find him doing absolutely nothing (often lying on the floor, but sometimes he at least sits on the couch). He really does not know how to occupy himself at all. It's so annoying for everyone.

What should I do? How do we fix this? A part of me wants to buy him new toys, but my husband keeps saying that whatever we have bought him in the past has only kept his interest for a short period of time so it's really not the answer at all. Any suggestions?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children