Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Double Wall Oven or Double Oven range dilemma. Help

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 8:32 am
Im down to either the GE 30" double wall oven (two separate ovens) or GE 30" range with double oven (one larger oven, one smaller oven) one above the other, all one piece with burners above.

This is going on for weeks and I cant decide.

I got these pros and cons off the internet and added pros and cons of my own below.

Range vs. Cooktop/Oven

Benefits of Ranges:

All cooking functions are in one location (not that big a plus or minus for me)
A design statement good for kitchens needing a focal point (not that big a plus or minus for me)
Can be more affordable (a plus)
More space efficient for small kitchens (a plus)
Easy to install (not that big a plus or minus for me)

My main pros:
Gas, less money to buy, less money to operate, easier to replace dimensions-wise with new oven if breaks,

My main cons:
Smaller ovens, requires bending to put in, take out and check food

Benefits of Cooktop-Wall Oven Combos:

Easier for multiple cooks (not that big a plus or minus for me)
Oven cooking can be more ergonomic: at eye and arm level (a plus)
Dual full-size oven capability (a plus, Id have two nice size ovens)
Adaptability in kitchen configuration with separate cooking and baking zones (not that big a plus or minus for me)
Flexibility in cooktop configurations and sizes, and you can have different sized stovetop and oven widths (not that big a plus or minus for me)

My main pros:
2 large ovens, doesnt require kashering between milchig and fleishig bec Id have 2 separate nice size ovens (although I only need a large Milchig Oven once a year when warming up lots of MIlchig food when hosting a Chanukah party), doesnt require bending to put in take out and check food

My main cons:
Only electric, more money to buy, more money to operate, takes away some counter space in a not that big kitchen, harder to replace dimensions-wise with new oven if breaks bec width, height and depth have to be identical, whereas 30" standing ranges are much more common and easy to find.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 12:48 pm
Any opinions out there today? WWYD?

Anon because my friends are familiar with this discussion.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 3:41 pm
I do space planning and kitchen design professionally, and I think you've done a good job delineating the pros and cons of your choices.

• Will you have enough counter space if you go with the wall ovens?

• Have you considered a micro-convection oven for milchiks above a regular range?

• You're right that the wall ovens are more ergonomic (or at least one of them would be). Is bending hard for you?

In a small kitchen I would tend to go with the range.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 4:41 pm
amother wrote:
Any opinions out there today? WWYD?

Anon because my friends are familiar with this discussion.

One point, which I think you must realize. You can get the built in electric double ovens and still get a gas cooktop.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 4:48 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I do space planning and kitchen design professionally, and I think you've done a good job delineating the pros and cons of your choices.

• Will you have enough counter space if you go with the wall ovens?

Have you considered a micro-convection oven for milchiks above a regular range?

• You're right that the wall ovens are more ergonomic (or at least one of them would be). Is bending hard for you?

In a small kitchen I would tend to go with the range.

This. I would go with a full size range and a large convection oven / hood above the range.

chatouli

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 6:38 pm
I would absolutely get the double oven. An electric oven with gas stovetop is a great combo. I have that and love it. There's very little downside to two good sized ovens. I wish I had two.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 7:14 pm
chatouli wrote:
I would absolutely get the double oven. An electric oven with gas stovetop is a great combo. I have that and love it. There's very little downside to two good sized ovens. I wish I had two.

OP here. This is my big dilemma. I dont bake that much Milchig throughout the year that I'd need a large Milchig oven, except for when I make a Chanukah party. I guess I can Kasher the Fleishig oven then. Im not sure its worth getting the double wall oven because I need a large Milchig oven only for Chanukah.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 7:22 pm
Would you use that large milchik oven the rest of the year?

chatouli

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 7:46 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. This is my big dilemma. I dont bake that much Milchig throughout the year that I'd need a large Milchig oven, except for when I make a Chanukah party. I guess I can Kasher the Fleishig oven then. Im not sure its worth getting the double wall oven because I need a large Milchig oven only for Chanukah.

There are so many amazing dairy dishes you can make in an oven/broiler. Or keep the second oven parve and use it for challot and other baked goods. There's really no downside.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 7:53 pm
AYLOR before buying a double oven. I dont remember details but I think a friend was told it had to be two separate units for milk and meat.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 8:05 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Would you use that large milchik oven the rest of the year?

I guess Id use the Milchig oven if I had it, but I can make one 9 X 12 tin of Lasagna or a big cheese cake in my large toaster oven (one thing at a time) and If have the microwave convection hood for Milchigs. Like I said, the Chanukah party, where Id be warming up lots of Milchigs at a time, would be the main time a large Milchig oven would be very useful.

malke1188

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 8:39 pm
If u do buy I got a very good deal at Sears closeout like floor model for half the price and you get the full warranty
Good luck.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 11:30 am
I have the GE double oven range. Very happy with it. Did it because I wanted more open space in the kitchen (the wall ovens would have blocked off the view from the sink to the table... like this we can just remove that wall, and have plain open counter space there, or even a milchig sink which othwerise there is no space for).

Also, eventually we plan to move... We can theoretically just take the whole oven with us.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 11:47 am
malke1188 wrote:
If u do buy I got a very good deal at Sears closeout like floor model for half the price and you get the full warranty
Good luck.

Whichever model you choose in the end, make sure it is Shabbos/Yom Tov compatible.

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 12:49 pm
in a double oven with the range on top one of the ovens is very low to the ground. I had one for awhile and found I was practically sitting on the ground when I had to put something in/take something out.

I now have a double wall oven and a separate cooktop.

I love my double wall oven which allows me to cook two things at once at different temps.

One thing to consider with the regular stove is that you generally can't cook dairy and meat at same time since they vent through the same pipe.

with a double wall oven, you have the same issue but you can get ones that vent separately. Mine doesn't have an outside vent - they vent separately into the kitchen (yes, it makes it hotter).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen