Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Looking to make aliyah to an anglo (torani) community

Ay Jay Jay

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 9:26 pm
My husband and I are a young couple with a toddler. We live in Los Angeles and are strongly considering making aliyah.
We are looking for a community that is very close knit, where friends are family... Warm, caring, and sincere people that we can trust. It is super important to us that the community has a zero tolerance for s*xual abuse. Abusers should be banned and punished.

We do not like stereotyping ourselves. I cover my hair fully (but will show a tefach in the front), wear colors, sandals, and no tights. My husband wears polo shirts and jeans. We do not own a TV, but we are OK with appropriate movies. We want our son (and G-d willing future children) to have the opportunity to be active in sports (soccer, basketball, karate, etc.).
For schools, we are not extremists as charedi or tzioni. We tend to lean more toward the modern than charedi side because we disagree with some charedi mentalities. We would however like our son to have the opportunity to choose to go to a hesder yeshiva, army, college, or charedi kollel. We want to teach him the beauty of all types of Judaism and would accept him no matter which Torah path he may choose. We would, however, like a school with a very strong Torah education but also teaches 'secular' education. A place that teaches first and foremost the importance of loving all Jews.

We consider ourselves open minded people. We believe in being 100% honest and open with our children. Derech eretz kadma letorah is our mindset. We are non-judgmental and these the ideals we want our children to have. We feel most comfortable around anglos and this would make the adjustment much easier on us.

Any community recommendations? We do not want to live in the West Bank.
Hope this makes sense. I appreciate any feedback and all responses. Thank you Imas Smile

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 12:04 am
Nof Ayalon might work, also some parts of Bet Shemesh.
If you reconsider the West Bank thing, there's also Alon Shvut.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 1:08 am
Are you looking for a more homogeneous yishuv-type of place or a community within a mixed city?

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 1:22 am
OK I really don't know communities but I just have to say from reading your OP I would really love to have you as a neighbor! And your kid(s?) in my kid's class! Good luck and do let us know where you settle!

November

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 1:56 am
OP, do you and your husband speak Hebrew? That can make a big difference in making friends, feeling part of a community.

LisaS

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 2:10 am
The first place that comes to mind is chashmonaim. There is a very warm anglo community there.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 3:41 am
If you reconsider the Green line thing, I think you'd fit in well in Maale Adumim.

It's part of the area that everyone agrees Israel will keep. I feel very safe here, and safer inside Maale Adumim than in Jerusalem since it's a gated community, the guards check who comes in, in Jerusalem anyone can be walking around...

We personally chose it for economic and other reasons, not because we are political...

5mom

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 6:12 am
Actually Chashmonaim is not in the West Bank, but it's literally on the line. Also I think it's a little less Torani than some of the other suggestions.

etky

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 7:16 am
5mom wrote:
Actually Chashmonaim is not in the West Bank, but it's literally on the line. Also I think it's a little less Torani than some of the other suggestions.

It is a yishuv in Yesha - belongs to the Mateh Binyamin Regional Council. It is just over the line.

merelyme

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 8:20 am
I removed some posts. If you saw them, you know why.

Please try to respond in a manner that's appropriate and helpful to the OP.

- merelyme, as mod

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 8:29 am
I second nof ayalon.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 8:50 am
Come join me in Nahariya! IYH we'll be there by the end of July.

How could you resist living just a few blocks from the beach, and some of the cheapest rents in Israel? Great schools, mixed community, and did I mention the BEACH?

Ay Jay Jay

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 9:36 pm
from the little research I have done, it seems like nof ayalon has no housing available.

I speak very little hebrew. my husband speaks some.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 11:40 pm
How about Rehovot? The Noam school may suit you and there is a sizeable Anglo population. They have contact info listed on NBN.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 1:11 pm
We have friends who fit similar description to what you wrote, they moved to Yad Binyamina and very happy there.

Savta S

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 9:03 am
The Neve Aliza neighborhood in Karnei Shomron seems like it would work for you. There are about 200 Anglo families, over 5,000 in the greater Karnei, which is located in the Shomron, about 15 minutes from Kfar Saba. Most people work in the center of the country (the greater Tel Aviv area). There are both houses (American & Israeli types) and apartments. The schools are either gov't religious torani or Barkai. I think there are some Talmud Torah schools too. I'm not on top of that anymore as I'm an empty nester (w/a house for sale). If you'd like more details let me know.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions