Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Kids waking up with the birds!! Any ideas???

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:26 am
I have 3 little kids sleeping in 1 small bedroom (cant make any other arrangements) my oldest is almost 6 years old and he wakes up at 5:30 am with the birds!! problem starts that it doesnt end there. he wakes up his sister of 3 1/2 years old and together they do all kind of mischief! first, they take food from the pantry and fridge- they help themselves to whatever they would like.... except for that, they run around house, waking me and my husb, never mind that I live in a building and have a neighbor right below me that can hear every footstep. Then, they crawl into the baby's crib and have a grand time with her. No amount of threatening, positive reinforcement helped so far. I sat my son down and explained to him how he cant do this, and how it effects his siblings... but to no avail, I locked my pantry with a key, so he does the fridge now, I punished him, etc... nothing helped! at this point, I feel like im losing my mind! I'm up a lot in middle of night w baby, then I'm up at 5:30 already. by the time my daughter goes to school, shes tired and cranky and I cant think of any other solution anymore, therefor I decided to see if any of you mommys have any better ideas for me?

(and btw, if you might suggest that I put him to sleep later, it doesnt begin to matter. no matter how late he goes to sleep, he's up bright and early)

5mom

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:31 am
Blackout shades

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:59 am
1. Provide your children with "in their room" morning activities. Teach them to play quietly in their room until a "time" you feel is appropriate to come outside. Someone once suggested a traffic light that turns green when children may exit their rooms.

2. Wake up together with them. 5:30 may seem early, but it is not a horrifying time to wake up, and you may come to enjoy that if it's appropriate for you.

Last edited by Scrabble123 on Tue, Jun 23 2015, 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 8:57 am
Best idea is to go to sleep earlier yourself.
Most likely putting him to sleep later will not help at all (like you said).
I can commiserate - I have 4 in one room.
At one time when my oldest was younger - I bought a toddler alarm clock and told them they had to stay in bed until the light turned on. They had books in bed. And if they listened there was a prize. It worked for a while. [At this stage it wouldn't work for me anymore]. I found it gave them a much better handle on when they could come out rather then it being up in the air.

STMommy

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 9:20 am
Blackout shades plus a white noise machine. In-room activities.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 10:28 am
I feel like I could've written your exact post except my kids are all about half a yr younger then yours.
I put stuff out in the living room for them to do (workbooks, books, I risk putting markers and having my 3yrold color on everything...,) and I always prepare 2 bowls with snack inside. that can keep the 3yrold busy for a little bit. he wakes up starving.
I do this just in case they actually do go out quietly and the baby gets a few extra min of sleep.

can your 6yr old read? you can write him letters for when he gets up
I did that for a few days, she read the letter then colored all around it....but it could be diff bec she's a girl...
I made a chart-- who went straight to the living room after they woke up and was quiet till mommy came out of bed-- that worked for a few days. (I also came out some time after 6, so they wont be waiting ''forever'' and slowly I pushed my way to 6:45)
every few days I gotta find a new trick...

good luck!

(their room has a "tris/black out shade" and air purifier/noise machine-so it's not any outside noises waking them)

cityofgold

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 11:40 am
I read online that a way to show your kids when is ok to get up without teaching them to tell time is by setting a timer on a lamp. When it's ok to get up, the timer goes on/off (depending on whether or not your kids sleep with a lamp).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics