Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How to keep boys entertained with min supervision?

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 1:11 pm
I have a 9 and a 7 year old boys who are not in camp this summer (for a few reasons). I work from home so while I can supervise them, I do need to work. They have such a hard time keeping themselves entertained it drives me nuts. We have a pool (and I do watch them when they go swimming) and a few friends on our block who are also not camp this summer. But I am looking for activities for them that involve minimum amount of supervision from me. so far we have
- swimming
- summer homework/reading
- sports (baseball/catch, soccer etc) - but when it's hot it's not always a good option
- free play
- some screen time (cartoons/games etc) - I prefer to keep this to absolute minimum

but all of the above (besides for swimming) don't usually keep them busy for more than 30 minutes or so. Any other suggestions? thanks!!!

mommy100

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 1:18 pm
a few sets of Lego can keep them busy for a while or any other building toy like Kenex

imasinger

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 1:22 pm
Yes, put-togethers. Board games. Taking on a new craft or hobby, maybe self taught. Mazes, rubbings, or dot to dots. Reading for fun. Puzzle games like Traffic Jam.

12rivkyk34

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 12:00 am
some boys enjoy 'baking' activities that don't require ovens or stove tops like making rice crispy treats, smoothies, popping popcorn etc.
my son like bop it, rubrics stick, rubics cube, word finds
all my kids love listening to wonder words and mishapacha junior hotline

I find it important to make a schedule- daaven, indoor table activity, snack, read, outdoor activity, lunch, swim... so they know the basic seder of the day and don't kvetch for ideas all the time. the schedule can vary and be created at the beginning of the week stating the coming week's activities.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 12:24 am
These are good ages for imaginative play. Get a couple of the large boxes refrigerators come in from an appliance store. Let the boys know that these are their boxes to do what they please but not to destroy. If they want to make houses have them tell you where they want windows or doors, or they can decorate them with markers to look like trucks or boats, they can build forts with them. The key is to let them use their imagination to create and play.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 12:24 am
Please fence your pool and lock the gate. The key is around your neck on a string.

Have many, many nanny cams all over.

sky

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 6:53 am
I like the idea a different poster mentioned regarding having a set schedule.

Biking. My boys are that age - I let them go down my block and around the corner. They can do it for a long time.

Check out the dollar store - They have lots of fun activities for cheap. They don't last too long but do their job: Water squirters and cannons, water balls, water balloons, velcro catching sets, tennis sets, chalk, word find\sudoko\dot to dot books, popcicle sticks, etc.

Check out Marshall also for ideas. Hot plate loom, perler beads. Many stores have a dollar section with small painting crafts, or you can buy small wooden jewlery boxes or frames and some paint and decorate. Give as gifts to grandmothers. We also once made lots of napking rings (silver pipe cleaners and pretty beads) and wrapped them and gave to grandparents for yom tov.

Wood kits - you can get a bigger project and have them do a step every day to break it up. Like a shtender - build and paint.

Bake without the oven, or they mix a batter and shape and you stick in the oven: Rice Kripy treats (we leave out the margarine and they make themselves), peanut butter balls or cookies, rum balls.

Fun bubbles - give them pipe cleaners and make huge bubble loops. It can be very cool when it works.

Basketball. do you have a place you can put a basketball hoop, or mount one against an existing pole.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 7:05 am
Croquet. Once set up they can play together or with friends. You just need a large enough yard.
Horseshoes with stakes. Use the croquet stakes.
Make a target for pitching practice.
Kickball.
Bow and arrows, use the same target as above.
Make an obstacle course, or better yet, have them make one and improve it every day.
Can you teach them a little woodworking?
Get a boy scout handbook for really good ideas for these ages.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children