Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Living in the old city

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 10:32 am
We have to opportunity to live in the old city for a month, (coming from chu"l). I am wondering about living logistics and hoping s/o can give me information about:

1. food shopping - we only eat mehadrin. Where is the best shopping/cheap? How do you stock up on food? Is there makolet suitable for family shopping and not just tourist stuff?

2. parks for kids - our apt. has acourtyard, but where else do local kids play?

3. parking - where does the taxi bring us to, when we come from the airport? If we rent a car, where can we park?

4. mikva - is there a woman's mikva? nice?

5. noise - how noisy does it get?

6. bus pass - is it possible to get the bus/light rail pass if I am not a citizen?

anon, cuz I've asked irl.

Smile1234

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 11:18 am
Cant answer most questions, but here's what I can tell you.

My aunt and uncle once stayed in the old city for a week or ten days stay, and they said they would never do it again, even though it was so nice to be able to daven at the kosel 3x a day, it was always a walk from however close the car could get them. And they were not soo far from a parking lot where private cars can go.

Yes you can get a Rav Kav.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 6:28 pm
Bump

daagahminayin

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:22 pm
I've lived in the OC but it was more than 5 years ago.

There are playgrounds for kids but not many grassy areas. Lots of tourists and other folk around so you need to have someone watching the little ones.

Mikvah - only went on Yom Kiopur because I wasn't married at the time but it seemed very nice. Can't tell you about what it's like to use it regularly though.

Rav Kav - never heard that you need to be a citizen for it, but look into it.

Shopping - grocery shopping can be very expensive inside the Rova. I think a lot of people go to the shuk. Since I wasn't married when I lived there I never had to deal with shopping for a family.

Noise - a lot depends on the street you're on; there can be a great difference if you're in a private courtyard or a street that gets used regularly. In the latter case, yes it can be very noisy, at all hours.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 10:53 pm
1) there are lots of makolets but very expensive- rova market is the biggest and has all mehadrin products as far as I know. But all the makolets in the rova are very expensive so it's much better to go to the shuk or מעיין 2000 which is a stop on the light rail just before the shuk- amazing prices!

2) there is a park with slides/swings and a few other things but it is not amazing and is open all around it so would recommend supervision especially for small kids. Local kids play in the old square (big courtyard) and all around the rova.

3) the taxi will drop you at the חניה- parking lot of the rova and from there you will probably have to walk. There are parking bays there but you will have to get a special permit that you are a resident of the rova in order to be allowed to enter with a car at all

4) I have onky been to one woman's Mikva there so can only speak for that one- not American like at all but very Heimish and sweet ml

5) depending on where you stay- if you are near the square or main areas it can get very noisy at night. The arches Echo and there are lots of young kids running around at all hours of the night

6) yes you can get a Rav kav

Good luck it is not easy but it is a once in a lifetime opportunity that is sooooo special take in every moment and try to look past the small hardships

Anon coz we have lived in the rova

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 6:38 am
Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions