Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
ISO online or "quickie" MSW program

motherof5

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 1:26 pm
HI, I am currently working in human services, and have been for 20 years. I began an MSW program 25 years ago, but dropped out when I started having children. Although I currently have a good job, I am concerned that if things at work change, I will not be considered for a parallel position in another agency due to my lack of degree. So, I would like to figure out the easiest, quickest way to accomplish that. Any suggestions or advice is welcome. Thanks so much!

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 1:32 pm
A friend of mine looked into the block program through YU. You do all the courses over three consecutive summers and the field work is done throughout the year. She decided on a traditional full time state program in the end.

She told me that working in social services can sometimes serve as field work depending on the situation otherwise you will have to figure out how to do the field work component on top of your job. That might be hard.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 1:44 pm
I'm constantly getting ads for Usc's online program which is supposed to be one year. I don't know anything about it

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 1:53 pm
tichellady wrote:
I'm constantly getting ads for Usc's online program which is supposed to be one year. I don't know anything about it

Following thread.

Anyone hear of this?
YU program won't work for me because I live out of country with plans to possibly move to US.
WOuld be very interested in hearing about an online program.
I know Reb. Bulka has program but 50k! (School just Sundays)

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 2:09 pm
amother wrote:
Following thread.

Anyone hear of this?
YU program won't work for me because I live out of country with plans to possibly move to US.
WOuld be very interested in hearing about an online program.
I know Reb. Bulka has program but 50k! (School just Sundays)

YU Block program is actually formulated for people who don't live in the US. You spend the summer in US, taking classes for seven weeks, and then return to your home country and do your fieldwork there.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 2:27 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
YU Block program is actually formulated for people who don't live in the US. You spend the summer in US, taking classes for seven weeks, and then return to your home country and do your fieldwork there.

Do you know how much it costs?

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 4:27 pm
amother wrote:
Do you know how much it costs?

I don't.

motherof5

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:05 pm
thanks for the responses. I know about the block program at YU, but was frankly looking for something easier:)

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:09 pm
motherof5 wrote:
thanks for the responses. I know about the block program at YU, but was frankly looking for something easier:)

Any reputable degree program is going to take time and work. There aren't any shortcuts.

ROFL

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 8:08 pm
As someone who works in social services I have seen people who have gotten quickie degrees and they generally don't get second interviews. Best for you to get a good degree from a valid school

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 10:23 pm
ROFL wrote:
As someone who works in social services I have seen people who have gotten quickie degrees and they generally don't get second interviews. Best for you to get a good degree from a valid school

This. I am currently in an MSW program. Social work is not an easy come by degree. Even if you've had a lot of experience, there is always more to learn. MSW programs also require two years of supervised field work. Touro has a January start program which could be completed in 18 or so months but it is a very intense program and you don't have much of a life beyond it.

PM me if you want more info.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 10:39 pm
As someone in the field-don't waste your time with quicky degrees. Or "easy" ones. I wouldn't hire from Bulkas program. It's called a masters for a reason. Do the work, get a real degree. It is worth the time and headache. There is a reason your potential future boss wants the degree. It isn't just initials after your name.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 12:19 am
I not only don't recommend a quickie degree I actually am so appalled by them. I have been running a private practice for 10 years and put in my time under strict and reliable supervision before that. In the last 5 years with the advent of all these coaching/quickie degrees I have found that the harm they are doing is immense. Many people try and save some money and go to someone less qualified. By the time they are ready to pay for me I have to spend 8 sessions undoing what the unqualified person did and it end up costing them even more then it would have if they had come directly to me (or someone else who is actually qualified). Anon because my opinions about these programs are well known.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 4:18 am
amother wrote:
I not only don't recommend a quickie degree I actually am so appalled by them. I have been running a private practice for 10 years and put in my time under strict and reliable supervision before that. In the last 5 years with the advent of all these coaching/quickie degrees I have found that the harm they are doing is immense. Many people try and save some money and go to someone less qualified. By the time they are ready to pay for me I have to spend 8 sessions undoing what the unqualified person did and it end up costing them even more then it would have if they had come directly to me (or someone else who is actually qualified). Anon because my opinions about these programs are well known.

Unfortunately, that could happen even if someone went to a real school and did a real full time program. It could even happen to someone who went to an ivy league program as well. Not everyone is cut out to be a therapist even if they went through a regular program and had years of supervision. The problem is, how do schools assess whether someone will be a competent social worker/therapist? And even if one school has a good method of assessing such a thing and doesnt admit everyone who applies, that doesn't mean that the people they reject won't get into another school. Also, from my experience, lots of programs judge applicants based on undergraduate gpa and group interviewing skills so if someone has a low gpa and/or has bad interviewing skills I.e. gets nervous and says the wrong thing etc then the school will reject this person even if the person has the potential to be an amazing therapist. Schools need to focus more on whether someone will be a competent therapist rather than a competent student who will "fit" their particular program. End of rant.

motherof5

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 6:06 am
Ironically, since I am the one looking for the "quickie" degree, I too am disturbed by them, and would be appalled if one of my kids would want to go that route. I only felt that at my stage, 45+ years old, working in the field for 20+ years, with experience and a reputation, I may be ok with a less then reputable degree.

Smile1234

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 6:46 am
Reb. Bulka does offer an MSW (expensive) program. But if you are in israel you can actually get the degree there. So that may be a help for you. Don't know if you're in israel or a different country.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 8:42 am
motherof5 wrote:
Ironically, since I am the one looking for the "quickie" degree, I too am disturbed by them, and would be appalled if one of my kids would want to go that route. I only felt that at my stage, 45+ years old, working in the field for 20+ years, with experience and a reputation, I may be ok with a less then reputable degree.

However, a parallel job in another company may not accept that new degree or assume it's comparable. You are probably better off going to a real school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics