Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help my 2 yr old lose weight!
Previous  1  2

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 12:27 pm
Dd had her eyes n ears examined and is fine bh. The sensory gyms around here don't do ei. As another poster said she will not be approved for more than 1x30 unless she has major delays bh. Insurance will not cover therapy either. As a mater of fact more more than one person has told me that if she was evaluated now she would not be approved at all. Initially I overplayed her sensory issues, which have gone away, and she had some signs of week core strength which are also gone.
There is nothing overt about her that needs therapy. Today she played basketball by standing in one spot sucking her thumb and with the other hand throwing the ball in the basket! If the ball rolled away or someone encouraged her to move around she just screamed and sat down.
She is just sedentary. She also sleeps a lot. 8pm- 7am and a 1.5-2 he nap in the afternoon. When she wakes, or I wake her,she just likes to lay in her crib and cozy.
the more I write the more this sounds worrisome to me.
Jade, tx for asking around is love some ot recomendations

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 12:33 pm
So she likes that thumb. And she hates the sensation of movement. I am thinking of inner ear and balance. I am wondering if she gets dizzy or headache-y when her head moves quickly.

Maybe sit her in a wheeled wagon and pull her all over the place, including over bumps. That will give her some not-cozy feelings, it is a sort of exercise, but it is milder.

When she is lying on her back, flex and kick her legs for her, so she can get the feeling of her knees bending and straightening, but in a secure position.

I am assuming she is eating meat bits, meaning beef. Little scraps and crumbs of beef. And eggs.

Her room may be too warm. Cool it down.

Don't wash her in hot water, only moderately warm.

Dry her with a towel with some texture to it.

Get some yogurt into her daily; the gut probiotics can count for a lot, about many things.

Not too many hats. She needs sun.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 12:37 pm
How do you know the weakness resolved itself? It really could very well be she's sedentary because she's weak. Anyway, my OT asked what part of Brooklyn, so she can give me names.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 1:28 pm
To Jade, were in marine park.
Dolly, I think ur right. She loves to be pushed on the swing, but suddenly flips out every now and then, I think cuz she gets dizzy or off balance. She doesn't like heights like standing on her chair being held up high, on someone's shoulders...I try wheelbarrow walking her or sumersaults but she screams. She had lots of ear infections her first yr but is now find bh.
I have vertigo but doubt it's hereditary.
She does love spinning around and getting dizzy. Is there something I can do about this.
I think her core strength has improved because the things that the evaluator noticed like airing with a wide base of support, not being able to stand on one foot, have been eliminated.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 1:46 pm
Was she evaluated for PT also? To me it sounds more like a gross motor issue than a sensory one but I am not an expert.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 1:48 pm
I would say, encourage her to do a lot of what she does tolerate.

If she likes to spin, encourage her to spin.

If she likes the swing, encourage that, but mildly. You don't want her to come to hate it.

I think the ear infections left something. However as she grows, it could all fix itself, as other posters have said.

As she can now stand on one foot, have her do that a whole lot. But always be careful to not push her boundaries because you don't want her to refuse to do it next time, from having a bad experience.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 1:49 pm
The main concern is health, not weight per se. Is she driven everywhere? If she has to walk to get places, then some exercise will be built into her schedule. I remember walking to and from preschool with my mom, but I don't know if that works for you.

My kids kvetch sometimes about walking home from (and often to) school, about 20 minutes each way, but I tell them it's good for them. At least it's some consistent movement built into their lifestyles.

fluffernutter

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 2:25 pm
I wonder if she has low iron. It sounds like she is also just the really tired type.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics