Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Put pareve sink in new kitchen (new home) or not?
Previous  1  2  3  4

happybeingamom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 11:37 am
OOTBubby wrote:
Since you now have the sketch of the plans -- let me get another opinion. What shape table should I put in the breakfast room and should it be parallel to the island or perpendicular to the island? The open space lends itself best to a round table (there is probably enough room for a 72" round), but I am not sure that I'd want a round table. And note that the majority of the time the only people at the table are me and DH.

I have a 72 inch round table I wouldn't want to use it if I had only two people eating. As it is huge and just not meant for two people or even four. I just don't see two people sitting comfortable around it all the time. To get nice table cloths that are not cloth you need to have one custom made. There is very little in that size because most people don't need a table that has room to seat 12.

I would do one of two things, get a table you can extend or get a table that seats six and put in a folding table when you need more.

Another suggestion if you have a hard time standing for a long time when preparing food, get some stools that fit under the Island. The downside is by having a seating area you lose under cabinets.

penguin

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 1:03 pm
I'm looking at your plan and thinking, so you take vegetable out of the fridge and you have a looong walk to either milchig or fleishig sink. I think you would end up prepping your vegetables in the pareve.

Also I know your kids are out of the house, but if you expect the back door to get a lot of use, I would think you'd want a door into the mudroom from that back area.

farm

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 2:36 pm
I think you should do 4 sinks. Meat, dairy, parve, and trief (for when you are mopping the floor or scrubbing).

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 2:38 pm
I would get some type of extendable table. Small enough for two but opens up to a bigger table.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 2:45 pm
penguin wrote:
I'm looking at your plan and thinking, so you take vegetable out of the fridge and you have a looong walk to either milchig or fleishig sink. I think you would end up prepping your vegetables in the pareve.

Good point.

penguin wrote:
Also I know your kids are out of the house, but if you expect the back door to get a lot of use, I would think you'd want a door into the mudroom from that back area.

There is a door into the mudroom -- door #21 on the diagram, and that is the main entry into the house. If you mean a door into the passage to the rear entry, that is not a normally used entry (it opens onto the deck) and I wouldn't want a door there as it would separate easy access the pantry and linen closets and the powder room there.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 2:47 pm
I would do a small round table that expands to an almost oval table with leaves in it. That would give you the best of everything.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 2:48 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
I would do a small round table that expands to an almost oval table with leaves in it. That would give you the best of everything.

That is a good idea; I just hate to deal with leaves.

penguin

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 6:03 pm
You might like a drop-leaf table.

A treif sink can actually be very useful e.g. if you broil liver or have grandchildren that need formula which is recommended not to be put into regular sink.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen