Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is it ok for newborn to be outside all day?

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 9:50 pm
My baby only sleeps when she is outside (6 weeks old) the second we come indoors with her she wakes up. I have a babysitter who basically sits under an awning with the baby all day and baby comes inside to me to eat (nurse) every 3 hours. In the summer heat do you think this is ok for the baby? I would think if she was bothered by the heat she would cry but instead she seems most content in the outdoors. In the shade, in a stroller with a bug net by the way....

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 9:54 pm
What are your plans for winter?

morah

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 10:04 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
What are your plans for winter?

In Scandinavian countries, babies actually do nap outside in the winter.
Op, as long as baby is in the shade and adequately hydrated, I don't think it's a problem. You may want to start teaching her how to sleep under other conditions because it's good to know how to fall asleep even without everything to your liking, but other than that, I don't see a problem.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 10:08 pm
morah wrote:
In Scandinavian countries, babies actually do nap outside in the winter.
Op, as long as baby is in the shade and adequately hydrated, I don't think it's a problem. You may want to start teaching her how to sleep under other conditions because it's good to know how to fall asleep even without everything to your liking, but other than that, I don't see a problem.

My DD was born during a deathly hot CA summer. She napped in a Yucatan string hammock in the shade, and yea during a mild winter she had many opportunities to nap outdoors when I was walking.

At some point the child will need to be acclimated to sleeping indoors.

smss

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 10:09 pm
Really depends on the temperatures but even if they're mild, if she's outside all day, nursing every 3 hours is probably not enough. Does the babysitter try to distract her or does she bring her to you as soon as she shows signs of hunger/thirst?

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 10:11 pm
Yes good point - friday supposed to rain she will have to be indoors. I just hate sleep training and hearing the crying.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 10:12 pm
Yea usually as soon she wakes up the sitter brings her to me.

animeme

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 10:42 pm
Have you tried putting a fan near her on low? Maybe a feeling of a breeze would help.

Miri7

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 11:14 pm
One of my babies liked having a fan in his room. We pointed it up toward the ceiling and that seemed to get good air circulation in the room. He also liked fresh air so we opened a window when weather permitted.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 11:18 pm
Just make sure she has no blanket and is dressed very lightly like a one piece sleeveless you don't want her overheating. I saw someone with their baby in a bunting recently!! That is very dangerous!

tweety1

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 7:51 am
I had that with my first actually. Since she was days old. The fresh air is very healthy for babies as long as they're protected from the sun don't feel guilty letting her sleep there for a few hours.

sweetpotato

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 10:53 am
If she's protected from the sun and making normal amounts of wet diapers then there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 8:09 pm
DD was an outdoor baby, too. She'd scream bloody murder in the house, but calm down the minute I took her outside. A covered porch saved my sanity, as I could sit out there with her even when it was raining. A fan helped immensely in getting her used to a crib, as did an open window.

Remember, in the days before fancy, insulated houses, babies spent all their time strapped to their mother's backs, or sitting in a crib at the edge of a field where there mothers harvested food. They grew up strong and healthy! Exposure to some dirt and pollen early in life can help prevent allergies, too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics