Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Would you report this babysitter to the parents?
Previous  1  2

londonn16

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 7:06 pm
First and foremost, how can anyone trust a Spanish [gentile] whom one doesn't even know her real background with their precious cargo! Would they reveal to the same babysitter where they hide their valuables?!
There has been so many hideous stories in the news, why do people think it can't happen to their kids???
There are so many jewish women looking for jobs, isn't it about time we entrust one of our own with our precious kids?!?!

Sadie

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 7:12 pm
londonn16 wrote:
First and foremost, how can anyone trust a Spanish [gentile] whom one doesn't even know her real background with their precious cargo!

Titbayeshi lach

Eishes Chaim

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 7:31 pm
The parents deserve to know. What they do with that information isn't your problem

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 8:29 pm
londonn16 wrote:
First and foremost, how can anyone trust a Spanish [gentile] whom one doesn't even know her real background with their precious cargo! Would they reveal to the same babysitter where they hide their valuables?!
There has been so many hideous stories in the news, why do people think it can't happen to their kids???
There are so many jewish women looking for jobs, isn't it about time we entrust one of our own with our precious kids?!?!

Unfortunately, Yidden sometimes also neglect and abuse children in their care. We should all be careful when entrusting our children with ANYONE.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 8:22 am
londonn16 wrote:

Jewish sitters aren't always better.

When my first child was born I sent her to a Jewish sitter who took excellent care of him.

After I had another child, I moved to a different area and needed new childcare. Most people in my area hired non-Jewish babysitters who came to their homes and also did light housekeeping. I found a Jewish sitter to come to my home who charged more than the non-Jewish sitters and did no housekeeping, but I felt that it was worth it to have a Jewish sitter, who I felt (just like you!) would be more trustworthy.

I saw that sitter seemed unenthusiastic and sometimes unhappy to be there, but brushed that off. At the time, my older son was a little over a year old and still drank from a bottle, though he ate solid food. A couple of months after she started, after a late day at work, I returned and she handed me the bottle I'd given her that morning. She told me that my son had refused the bottle I'd left for him and so drank nothing all day. I asked her if she'd refrigerated the bottle at all or tried giving him a fresh bottle and she said no. When I asked why she hadn't done that, or at least called me when my son hadn't drunk anything in several hours, she shrugged.

So no, a Jewish sitter isn't always best. My son certainly would have been better off with a non-Jewish sitter who would've bothered to make sure he was actually, you know, hydrated.

I moved my children to an excellent (Jewish) daycare center. Afterward my neighbor told me that it was the right thing to do, because she had concerns about the sitter. While I appreciated the validation, I would've appreciated even more having the information earlier.

Oh, and then she and her husband spread lashon hara about me all over town, either to counteract what she thought I'd said about her (although I just told people that it didn't work out) or to encourage people to give them money, since she no longer had a babysitting job. She didn't look for other babysitting work at the time, so I didn't feel that I had an obligation to warn anyone else.

Years later she apologized to me for her treatment of my kids (though not for the lashon hara).

Anon because she might be on here, and because my close relatives know some of this story.

Happy18

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 8:28 am
londonn16 wrote:

Really? I was raised by nonjewisj nannies and they were all wonderful. There are horror stories about Jewish babysitters as well. I feel like many jewish women don't want to be babysitters but do it for the money. You have to find someone who loves children and is the right fit. Um if your not comfortable leaving valuables out with a babysitter you should trust her with your child also.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics