Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Chalav Yisrael Organic milk and yogurt: does it exist?
Previous  1  2

sim

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 5:32 am
Don't worry, you're not a bad mommy! Very Happy

oohlala

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 5:48 am
lol thanks sim:)

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 7:22 am
Not trying to lower your standards or anything, but please realize that many highly respectable halachic authorities hold that plain kosher is just as good as cholov yisrael (which is why there is a hechsher on it at all, pretty much.) So don't waste too much guilt on this, if you are going to go ahead and do it anyway. Certainly if your children's health is at stake you have very good reason to use it. Yogurt is extremely healthy (make sure to buy the probiotic kind) and the sugar and food coloring is most definitely not.

SorGold

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 7:29 am
So for everyone looking for a niche in the Jewish market to make money... here is a need... cholov yisrael organic products...
Maybe a poll.if people would spend more money to buy...

WriterMom

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 11:43 am
Just a co-sign on the homemade yogurt not being hard (providing you can get a culture starter with a hechsher you find acceptable.) I make it without any special equipment. Here's what you do: find a recipe that suits the kind of starter you have and the end product you want. The starter will likely come with some numbers, and you can Google to find what you're interested in because there are different schools about how sour it is and the time and temperature. But you need two numbers: the temperature and time.

Then I use a cooking thermometer, a cooler, and glass jars, although you could use any container, but I prefer not to heat anything in plastic. So you heat the milk, cool it to the desired temperature, and add the starter. Then you put it in a water bath inside the cooler, fill the cooler enough to keep the sides warm with warm water, and close the cooler. Check every hour or so to make sure you're in the right temperature range, and add hot water as needed to keep the temperature where you want it.

That's it! I takes me usually 6-8 hours, so you need to be around the kitchen for most of the day, but it takes 1.5 minutes per hour, so as long as you'll be home anyway it doesn't interfere with childcare, other cooking, working from home etc. Good luck!

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 2:11 pm
Ah yes. Some people just put a thick blanket around it.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 4:50 pm
When I was doing big batches of yogurt I'd use my Rival roaster set it on a low temp and put my jars in it with a water bath. When I make small batches I use my larger crock pot and do the same.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen