Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
When To Give Bottles vs. Food

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Jun 27 2015, 5:21 pm
My 12 mo. old just weaned. I'm still pumping for her until my supply drops b/c she's allergic to milk (different thread about that in nursing forum) and I don't think she is ready for a whole day of food and water and no milk.

I'm trying to figure out when I should give her bottles vs. food. I can probably pump 2 bottles a day. It takes me a long time and I don't think I have time or energy to pump more than that.

When is the best time to give the bottles? How many ounces should I assume that she needs?

belovedaz

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 12:30 am
I would say one in the morn and one in the late afternoon or before bed. I always like to know that my one year old had a good start to her day with breakfast and then something good for supper. What happens in between depends on how the day goes but those meals are staples. By me she still uses three-four bottles a day just for comfort but by she's not allergic to milk so I'm stopping formula now and switching slowly to milk.
Good luck!

belovedaz

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 12:33 am
Question for op
What are some non dairy foods u feed ur little one? My daughter loves yogurt and cheese products but I x like giving her too many in one day. Can u recommend some food that are easy to prepare besides applesauce and bananas?
Thanks

cbg

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 12:59 am
Sweet potato
Butternut squash
Carrots
Avocado
Puréed peas

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 2:42 am
I agree morning and night usually prior to being weaned those are the last too feelings so it makes sense.

I'm so excited for my ds to turn one next month he doesn't like to drink I will probably give him some bottles but have him eat more food he does not let us feed him though what finger foods do you guys give.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 3:12 am
OP here. Thanks for the advice! A bottle in the morn. and the evening sounds good. (I'm thinking after supper time. Does that make sense? I don't want it to become a must to fall asleep.)

Here's what she eats:

Really just about anything we eat, just in appropriate sizes to prevent chocking cv"s.

Some things I can think of.

-meatballs (she loves them)
-chulent (she also loves)
-hard boiled egg (when she's in the mood)
-whole wheat bread (used 2 b her favorite, now it's when she's in the mood). I s/t put chummus, egg plant salad, egg salad on it. (Basically, what I'm eating.)
-chicken
-soup veges and chicken (although, lately she's been liking the veges less)
-oatmeal (she had stopped letting me feed her so I threw out the baby oatmeal. But, now she eats it again, so I give her mine.)
-shredded apple (now, she can eat small pieces, but I used to shred apple in the grater and so apple became soft and more finger food friendly, but it was messy)
-shredded carrots (the same as apple)
-cut up small cucumbers and tomatoes (they don't usually all make it into her mouth)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics