Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Name & Author of this story

penguin

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 5:46 pm
Having wanted to quote it on another thread, and not finding via google, can anyone please help place this story?

A man visits an old friend in a remote village somewhere near or in France or Spain. The wife seems a bit defeated, I can't remember how it comes out, but I think the husband is a doctor. And the friend realizes that the woman needs thyroid medication, but the husband uses it to control her and withholds it until she is barely functioning etc.

I was thinking it was by Saki or O'Henry, maybe Isaac Asimov. Anyone remember this story?

penguin

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 6:34 pm
Arthur Conan Doyle? I just went through a list of his short stories & didn't find it. It's definitely an old classic. But whose?

cbsp

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:52 pm
penguin wrote:
Having wanted to quote it on another thread, and not finding via google, can anyone please help place this story?

A man visits an old friend in a remote village somewhere near or in France or Spain. The wife seems a bit defeated, I can't remember how it comes out, but I think the husband is a doctor. And the friend realizes that the woman needs thyroid medication, but the husband uses it to control her and withholds it until she is barely functioning etc.

I was thinking it was by Saki or O'Henry, maybe Isaac Asimov. Anyone remember this story?

I don't remember who wrote this but it is sounding vaguely familiar... I have the complete works of Saki somewhere, maybe I'll try to look it up... It doesn't sound like an Asimov story somehow, but I do have a lot of his works as well... Time for a hike down memory lane... Thanks Very Happy

cbsp

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:05 pm
Found it!
The incredible elopement of Lord Peter wimsey by Dorothy Sayers. It's a short story in a collection.

(I never read it... Not sure why the plot sounded familiar)

sim

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:06 pm
Dorothy Sayers. It's a Lord Peter Wimsey mystery. I can't remember the title, but it's in one of her short story collections.

sim

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:08 pm
The incredible elopement of Lord Peter Wimsey.

penguin

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:13 pm
Aha! Thank you so much! I knew if was one of my favorite authors!!

sim

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:22 pm
Yes, I adore her books. I really wish there were more. My favorite novel of hers is Murder Must Advertise.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room