Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Txt talk on imamother

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 7:59 am
I have never posted using text language however I have seen lots of people do it, and they usually get told off for it.

Why does it bother people so much? Yes it's hard to read. So maybe don't read it. No one is forcing you to.

I really don't find it necessary to tell off a random woman on the internet, often posting helpful advice, or seeking it. I don't think it's important. Maybe she is in a rush, or desperate, or typing on her phone.

Why does it have to be such a "thing" that one woman can tell of another because she doesn't like her writing style?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 8:09 am
Let's ask Yael about this. At one point I recall seeing a rule against text speak, but looking at the rules now, I don't see it in there. I'm going to flag this post to see if Yael will clarify for us.

I cut people a LOT of slack for poor spelling, grammar, and not speaking English as their first language. I am not the typo police. Still, text speak is a different beast, and should remain in the realm of 12 year olds who are still experimenting with their first cell phone, not full grown women.

The majority of us here are of a generation (or two, or three) who do not appreciate having to decipher alphabet soup, when perfectly good words are available.

*shakes fist* You darn kids, get off my lawn! Mad

#OldFogey

happybeingamom

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 8:11 am
One would assume if you are starting a thread or responding in one you want to communicate. Communicate in the way people can comprehend. It is very annoying and I generally don't read those posts. I am not here to break my eyes.

Forums are not text messages.

water_bear88

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 8:16 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Let's ask Yael about this. At one point I recall seeing a rule against text speak, but looking at the rules now, I don't see it in there. I'm going to flag this post to see if Yael will clarify for us.

I cut people a LOT of slack for poor spelling, grammar, and not speaking English as their first language. I am not the typo police. Still, text speak is a different beast, and should remain in the realm of 12 year olds who are still experimenting with their first cell phone, not full grown women.

The majority of us here are of a generation (or two, or three) who do not appreciate having to decipher alphabet soup, when perfectly good words are available.

*shakes fist* You darn kids, get off my lawn! Mad

#OldFogey

I agree, and I'm under 30. Text speak is maybe appropriate for a very quick, short text message (though I personally use punctuation and capitalization even when texting). Its purpose is to get a message across as quickly as possible, and usually carries a connotation of not being thought out very well. It's further extremely annoying to read several lines of it- if you're going to write something long, you're completely missing the point of text speak.

That said, I try to skip over those posts. I don't think posters should get annoyed, though, to see that 50 people viewed the post but none replied when probably most of those 50 opened it, saw it was illegible, and left without trying to decipher it.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 8:20 am
orpnhfr V fubhyqa'g arrq zl frperg qrpbqre evat gb ernq guvf fvgr

relish

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 8:57 am
imasoftov wrote:

Omg! U 2?!

JMM-uc

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 9:07 am
imasoftov wrote:

You shouldn't be using such inappropriate language.

#nolongerateenager

Yael

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 9:23 am
We do not have a rule about not using textspeak.

Obviously, it would be nice to have all posts written clearly and grammatically correctly but sometimes that is not going to happen.
Anyone who doesn't wish to read or respond has that choice.
However, if you are capable of writing clearly please choose to do so.

sometimes women write in textspeak because they are on old fashioned phones where you have to press each letter 3 times. And sometimes women are dyslexic and cannot spell well. For some women english is not their first language. Readers should be understanding and caring. And writers should be thoughtful and considerate and write as clearly as you can.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics