Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Any chinuch experts to talk to? (Lakewood)

amother
Linen

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 8:23 pm
Are there any chinuch experts who I could talk to regarding my third grade DS? I gave birth a few weeks ago and he's acting IMPOSSIBLE! I'm losing my mind and would love to be guided in the right direction.
I live in Lakewood btw.
Thanks!

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 9:02 pm
Mrs Leah Trenk

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 9:02 pm
Dr. Tzipora Koslowitz - Targeted Parenting Institute

amother
Linen

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 9:52 pm
amother wrote:
Dr. Tzipora Koslowitz - Targeted Parenting Institute

How can I find out more info about this?

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 9:55 pm
The number is 732-364-3111. I take her class and I consult her for all my questions. Changed my life!

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 12:00 am
Amother, can I ask which version of the Targeted Parenting class you took? I'm considering it but not quite sure if my child really fits the category that the person on the phone said was right. I would like more details. I wish there were a website or brochure or something explaining more about the "types."

My child does a lot of arguing/whining/negotiating and has a hard time accepting if things are not going to go their way. Also does not accept consequences, does not seem to get the relationship between their behavior and the result - blames others, parents, etc ("You hurt me!" when child does something they were advised not to do and gets hurt, e.g.) always thinks people are being mean (parents, teachers, or natural consequences with friends who may not want to play if you don't play nicely) instead of accepting responsibility for actions/consequences.

The person on the phone said I should take the highly reactive child course, because I was describing the intensity of child's reactions to being given a consequence or not getting their way. The child indeed tends toward intense reactions and is very sensitive but I wonder if "highly reactive" describes also this problem of not getting the connection between your actions and their consequences.

Would love to hear from someone who took that course whether it seems right, whether that kind of thing is covered, what it is about... just more details. In general, obviously I don't expect to be handed all the wisdom but I want to know what I'm signing up for before sending out $400.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 12:54 am
You can try Reach Parenting. They have one-on-one mentors.
I think Mrs Trenk who was mentioned earlier is associated with them.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 1:33 am
I know mrs. Trenk messed up one child's life so I would be wary with her but people love mrs. Septimus.

I would look into a child psychologist they are usually better with children.

Also is there anyone in the child's school who can help you.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 1:39 am
amother wrote:
You can try Reach Parenting. They have one-on-one mentors.
I think Mrs Trenk who was mentioned earlier is associated with them.

Details?
BTW I am not OP and not in Lakewood. I am looking for someone who can work by phone/skype.

Sleep

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 9:45 pm
I think that Perl Abramowitz may help over the phone. I don't know where you are located but I remeber that she has an office in BP and in Monsey-if either of those place work for you.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 12:06 am
amother wrote:
Amother, can I ask which version of the Targeted Parenting class you took? I'm considering it but not quite sure if my child really fits the category that the person on the phone said was right. I would like more details. I wish there were a website or brochure or something explaining more about the "types."

My child does a lot of arguing/whining/negotiating and has a hard time accepting if things are not going to go their way. Also does not accept consequences, does not seem to get the relationship between their behavior and the result - blames others, parents, etc ("You hurt me!" when child does something they were advised not to do and gets hurt, e.g.) always thinks people are being mean (parents, teachers, or natural consequences with friends who may not want to play if you don't play nicely) instead of accepting responsibility for actions/consequences.

The person on the phone said I should take the highly reactive child course, because I was describing the intensity of child's reactions to being given a consequence or not getting their way. The child indeed tends toward intense reactions and is very sensitive but I wonder if "highly reactive" describes also this problem of not getting the connection between your actions and their consequences.

Would love to hear from someone who took that course whether it seems right, whether that kind of thing is covered, what it is about... just more details. In general, obviously I don't expect to be handed all the wisdom but I want to know what I'm signing up for before sending out $400.

Highly Reactive, and then I took Moody. (for two different kids.) Based on what you're saying, Highly Reactive would be the right class for you.

The nice thing about Dr. K is that she has her PhD from NYU - she's not some self-appointed chinuch "expert" type person - what she says is research based, she has a great reputation and solid years of experience behind her, and her whole reason for doing the classes was so that people can learn some of her techniques WITHOUT paying through the nose for therapy.
In terms of not getting the connection between actions and consequences, that's very much covered in the Highly Reactive class. It all goes with that type of profile. I love that I fully understand my DS now, and that I have a whole method and system for dealing with him.

sourstix

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 2:10 pm
I am renewing this thread. does anyone know who leah trenk is? what organization she works for?

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:54 pm
I believe she is connected to Reach Parenting.

sky

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 9:05 am
In Lakewood some schools provide Title I money to parents for parenting class and mentoring. It is money to be used for teacher and parent enrichment. If you are looking into taking parenting classes or trying to find a mentor you can find out if they can apply for Title I money from your school to help you out.
I know people have found this very beneficial.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics