Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Messed up stomach from shabbos food
Previous  1  2

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:03 pm
I discovered that it was the tomatoes in the salad. Fresh veggies can make you very bloated.

Tell us what you usually eat and we will try to figure it out.

heidi

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:31 pm
My DH has the same problem and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.
He eats whole wheat bagels during the week, so whole wheat challah shouldn't be a problem.
He eat lots of fruits and veggies during the week so why should Shabbos suddenly cause a problem.
I never make kugels etc. Only thing I can think of is chulent, but made only with barley, no beans. And this happens when I don't make chulent also!
I am so frustrated!

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:39 pm
Just getting out of schedule can cause some people to have stomach upset. If you're able to rule out foods, try implementing a more structured Shabbos schedule.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:57 pm
I have a lot of problems with IBS and bloating. During the week I only eat when I feel hungry, regardless of what time it is. We never have scheduled meals. I usually only eat one type of food per meal, maybe two (like something on toast, that counts as two things.) That way my stomach can concentrate on digesting very specifically.

Shabbos is a different story! People expect you to eat lunch at a certain time, and in the summer it's really hard because you're often still bloated from having a late dinner Friday night.

DH is casual with my weekday meal plans, but he really likes an old fashioned Shabbos with challah, fish, soup, salads, potatoes, meat, fruit, and pastries. I try to only take a little bit of things, but I usually end up eating too many different things and then my stomach gets all confused. If I don't take, then DH says "What, you don't want that? Why? What's wrong? Are you sure?" or if I'm eating out, then I'm afraid my hostess will be offended. Besides, when eating out I can't just take all of one kind of thing on my plate. That would look weird, and be very rude if there wasn't enough left over for everyone else.

So… I pick at my food, wear baggy waist skirts, and try to drink as much water as I can.

chani8

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 11:11 pm
Too much food on Shobbos may be the main problem. Otherwise, it's what you are eating. Something isn't agreeing with you.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 12:03 am
Quote:
Just getting out of schedule can cause some people to have stomach upset. If you're able to rule out foods, try implementing a more structured Shabbos schedule.
Just what I was going to say. In fact the Gemara says that change of schedule can cause stomach upset!

DS decided to try making kiddush early (after early davening) and having a little challah with a small milchig meal, then a heavier lunch around 2 or 3, which is much closer to his normal schedule. Last I heard it didn't make much difference, but for you it might.

Of course the sheer quantity of food usually served on Shabbos could be the culprit, and it might be starting Friday night (after a Friday of noshing because you never sat down to a meal).

I've switch to maybe 1/2 a piece of fish and 1/2 a piece of chicken, or less, and no kugel Fri nite though I do usually have some for Fri lunch.

Another thing to try - spelt matzah or a spelt roll.

kollelwife1234

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 4:36 am
Thanks for all the replies. On shabbos I have challa, salmon, chicken soup, and a bone in chicken breast. I sually grill it, but I thought that might be my problem, so I didn't last week, and it helped a for Friday night butnot the day. Shabbos day I eat challa and cholent, maybe some steak pastrami if it's from the deli counte. And very fresh. Sometimes a deli sandwich with mustard. I eat similar amounts to the week, although different foods at different times. Like I'll eat that much food for supper or at a wedding, but not 3 times in a row.

PAMOM

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 7:52 am
Cold cuts, mustard, and cholent can all aggrevate gerd.

kollel wife

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 9:44 am
I found that when I was pregnant I was much more sensitive to oily foods and the heavier diet on Shabbos.

I tried to avoid (a lot of) challah, chulent, cold cuts, even chicken and chicken soup. It was hard, but otherwise I'd be in the bathroom most of the night Motzai Shabbos and then had trouble sitting from the irritation of hemorroids on Sundays.

When I served meat on Yom Tov I'd never eat any at night, as I didn't seem to tolerate it well at all, (for the same reason) but now that I've gotten older, I seem to be able to handle it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note