Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Do you like soup?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

November

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 6:43 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Can you please post the recipes?

Excuse my ignorance but what is a "kubbe"?

cbg

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 6:46 pm
Another great recipe is a type of onion soup.

Sauté lots and lots of onions until translucent.
Add water and bring to a boil
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Optional consume (I don't use)
Lower fire and simmer for about 45 minutes
Take leftover bread (any) cut into cubes.
Add it to the soup.
Shut fire and place lid.
Wait 10 minutes until bread becomes mushy.
Serve with grated cheese on top, or not

November

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 6:47 pm
cbg wrote:
I love creamy soups.
I have a vitamix which can make anything into soup in a few minutes.
My favorite extra healthy and low cal.
1 bag of frozen brocolli defrosted
Hot water
salt, pepper garlic to taste.
Blend until smooth
I can eat the whole thing myself yum!

How much hot water do you add to the bag of brocolli? This sounds easy and yummy.

cbg

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 6:49 pm
November wrote:
How much hot water do you add to the bag of brocolli? This sounds easy and yummy.

Depends how thick or thin you want your soup.
I'm not sure if this will work with a regular blender though

cbg

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 6:50 pm
I guess you can boil the brocolli until it's soft and then blend it using the boil water

little_mage

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 8:51 pm
I like soup, but DH doesn't, so I tend not to make it. I don't remember who said they were looking for recipes, but I have a book called "Soup: the Kosher Collection" it's by Pam Reiss, that I really like. It's divided into parve, dairy and meat sections, and she even tells you which soups will freeze well.

ez-pass

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 9:23 pm
My kids love soup
I usually make two each week and they
eat it for breakfast lunch and supper!

Laiya

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 10:17 pm
My kids like fleishig split pea soup and fleishig vegetable soup. Basically just add a bit of shoulder steak, cubed, to the vegetables as you saute them. Sometimes turkey soup with rice or barley.

I serve with garlic bread on the side.

It's an easy meal in a bowl and freezes well. And, as other posters have noted, a great way to get the kids to eat their vegies Smile

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 12:16 am
In the winter I make a pot of soup every week. I tend to binge on types though. One year it was split pea, last year it was white bean with pesto, and I always love a good minestrone. When I have a cold I NEED my hot and sour soup. My soups are usually hot and spicy and I've never used a recipe.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 12:32 am
I don't like thin, watery soups. I like a good hearty "meal in a bowl" that will fill you up.

I tend to make "whatever is in the fridge" soups, with lots of good spices. Sometimes I use the hand blender, sometimes I leave it chunky, it just depends on what I'm making. The crock pot and the freezer are my best friends. Very Happy I never make the same soup twice.

I don't like cold soups, I'd rather make assorted salatim in the summer.

abaker

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 1:24 pm
in the mood of a creamy cauliflower soup, with melted cheddar on top. anyone have a recipe that doesnt call for heavy cream? I do have milk but no cream. would like to make it this afternoon if possible

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 2:04 pm
I really like soup, and will always try something new if offered! Carrot-ginger soup? Cool! Peanut-butter pumpkin soup? Intriguing! And what's Shabbos without chicken soup? I even grew up eating pupiks in my soup Very Happy

Unfortunately I don't seem to find it as quick to make as some other posters in this thread... just washing, peeling and chopping all the vegetables takes so long! (Pre-cut frozen veggies just aren't the same...)

I don't use soup mixes, so my soups are either PACKED with sauteed onions (which take time to brown and can't be left unattended), or have to be fleishig (a single sausage or piece of smoked turkey can be stretched much farther in a soup).

So for weekly Shabbos soup I make a month's worth at a time and freeze, but we don't eat soup on a regular basis on weeknights. I don't have much freezer room to do the same with other types of soup.

JMM-uc

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 2:15 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
I really like soup, and will always try something new if offered! Carrot-ginger soup? Cool! Peanut-butter pumpkin soup? Intriguing! And what's Shabbos without chicken soup? I even grew up eating pupiks in my soup Very Happy

Unfortunately I don't seem to find it as quick to make as some other posters in this thread... just washing, peeling and chopping all the vegetables takes so long! (Pre-cut frozen veggies just aren't the same...)

I don't use soup mixes, so my soups are either PACKED with sauteed onions (which take time to brown and can't be left unattended), or have to be fleishig (a single sausage or piece of smoked turkey can be stretched much farther in a soup).

So for weekly Shabbos soup I make a month's worth at a time and freeze, but we don't eat soup on a regular basis on weeknights. I don't have much freezer room to do the same with other types of soup.

Peanut Butter soup?

Have mercy!

ray family

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 2:40 pm
I love soup. my husband is not such a fan- esp in the summer. I go through phases- s/t I won't make for weeks on end. other times I say who cares, I"m going to make s/t I like. my kids like legume based soups like lentil, split pea. they also like chicken soup and "orange" soup (all orange colored veg). s/t I'll make other types of soups for myself.
personally, I prefer hearty or chunky soups to pureed.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 4:12 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
In the winter I make a pot of soup every week. I tend to binge on types though. One year it was split pea, last year it was white bean with pesto, and I always love a good minestrone. When I have a cold I NEED my hot and sour soup. My soups are usually hot and spicy and I've never used a recipe.

What do you spice your soups with? My creamy soups tend to taste the same, hot and spicy sounds like a good change. I often add red pepper flakes but it only upgrades the flavor somewhat.

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 7:16 pm
Update: as of today I have a stick blender and can now make those kinds of soups :-D

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 7:25 pm
abaker wrote:
in the mood of a creamy cauliflower soup, with melted cheddar on top. anyone have a recipe that doesnt call for heavy cream? I do have milk but no cream. would like to make it this afternoon if possible

Try subbing evaporated milk (NOT condensed) for heavy cream. You could use milk as well--the soup would still be good but less rich.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 10:00 pm
We love soup. Most weeks I put up a chicken soup rather than a cholent in our crock pot. During the week I'll make a veggie soup a few nights.

etky

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 3:08 am
Rutabaga wrote:
Can you please post the recipes?

Sorry - just saw this now.
Lentil soup: (I almost always double this recipe to serve about 12 people)
Rinse and soak 1 c. red lentils for at least 2 hours.
Sautee 2 chopped onions and a few cloves of minced garlic in a little olive oil.
Add the drained lentils and mix with onion/garlic. Add 1 Tblsp. flour to pot, mix well and cook for a couple of minutes.
Add 1.5 liters boiling water. Add 1 cubed carrot and potato.
Simmer for about 45 min -1 hr until tender.
Season with a couple of Tblsp tomatoe puree, some soup powder if you use it, salt, pepper and Hawayij.
If you don't have Hawayij substitute ground turmeric, cumin, cardomom and dried coriander - more of the cumin and a lot less of the other spices.
Simmer another 15 minutes or so.
I used to serve this with cut up hot dogs and it was delicious that way. Now I'm trying to be more virtuous so I've stopped doing that.

"Kubbe Chamusta" Soup:
Sautee a chopped onion and a few cloves garlic in a bit of olive oil.
Add about 10 chopped mangold leaves without the thick stems (1 package), about 2/3 that amount of chopped celery leaves and about a third a cup of chopped parlsey. Sautee until the mangold and celery start to soften. Add 1.5 liter boiling water, 1 zuchinni in chunks and some pieces of celery stalks if you want, soup powder if you use it, 1/3 tsp. lemon salt (that's a compromise amount- some of the family members like it more sour and some less), some cumin and a bit of turmeric. Simmer for about 20 minutes and then adjust seasoning to taste. Add in the frozen kubbe. I usually put in bt. 8-10 units, depending on how many people will be eating the soup. One kubbe is usually enough per serving for children or smaller eaters. Bigger eaters will eat two. Simmer 40 minutes. This recipe is something between a soup and a sauce for the kubbe.
BTW if you are in Israel, I like the Yasmin brand of frozen kubbes. They are more expensive but IMO also much tastier.

etky

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 3:13 am
November wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but what is a "kubbe"?

It's an Iraqi dumpling. The dough is usually made of crushed bulgar (though there are other types too) and the filling is generally ground meat. There are kubbe that you boil in soup and then there are the fried kubbe which are amazingly delicious IMO and, alas, very fattening....
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics