Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What kind of kitchen floor and who did you use?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 4:27 pm
what kind of kitchen floor do you have and who in Brooklyn did it?
We're thinking of replacing tile with new tile floor. The drawback is that it gets slippery when wet. We don't want wood. What other options are there

yenny

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 6:51 pm
Laminate. I'd be too nervous with tiles and babies.

chanee

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 7:14 pm
Right now I have ceramic that is not flat but 2 tone, I don't know how it's called. But if I redo my kitchen I would not put these as they chip when something hard falls.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 7:56 pm
My friend didn't want tile on her kitchen floor because it is hard and cold. She got VERY high end "tiles" that are much more high end than vinyl but are soft. They weren't cheap but they were excellent for her purposes - tile is very hard on your feet if you stand cooking for a long period of time and also cold in the winter. And stuff does break.

Porcelain is MUCH more durable than ceramic tile so if you want hard tile, then porcelain is a better choice since it won't chip if banged like ceramic might.

Tova

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 9:36 pm
Don't get laminate, it is not water proof (it's a thin layer of paper on top of pressboard). More than one contractor told me that they refuse to install laminate in a home since it's not a good material. The flooring company we ended up going with told me that they only get hired to install laminate in...foreclosure home because the bank just needs it to look good for a few months and then it's the new homeowner's problem.

We recently got LVT - luxury vinyl tile (I think this is what the previous poster is referring to) in wood-look planks installed in our kitchen, living room, dining room, and main level bathroom. Google Karndean. Honestly, it's really beautiful, I'm thrilled with it and I absolutely love it. No downsides really (except price, it's not cheap). It looks great, only needs a simple mopping to get to looking new again, soft on the feet, completely waterproof, stain resistant, scuff/scratch resistant. We have not had a mark we couldn't get out easily with a damp cloth. If for some reason a plank does need to be installed, it can easily be switched out and replaced (they showed us how to do this ourselves) with no other planks needing to be lifted up (unlike laminate where they are all interlocking).

m+m

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 9:40 pm
I think my tiles are porcelain. Very happy with them. Would highly discourage you from getting a textured tile as they are hard to clean since the surface is uneven. My tile are smooth and flat.

WriterMom

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 9:47 pm
Amarante wrote:
My friend didn't want tile on her kitchen floor because it is hard and cold. She got VERY high end "tiles" that are much more high end than vinyl but are soft. They weren't cheap but they were excellent for her purposes -

Cork? I visited a friend with cork flooring and it was lovely, and just as you describe - warmer in the winter, a bit soft so easier to stand on, and if you drop something it won't break! (as easily)

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 10:15 pm
WriterMom wrote:
Cork? I visited a friend with cork flooring and it was lovely, and just as you describe - warmer in the winter, a bit soft so easier to stand on, and if you drop something it won't break! (as easily)

No not cork which is soft. This is "like" vinyl flooring but it isn't so I didn't want to turn off people with that description. I am not certain about how waterproof cork would be and so I'm not sure I would have in a kitchen but some people do indeed have cork kitchen flooring. It is soft - and very "green" since it's from a sustainable non-endangered plant like bamboo.

She got hers in a somewhat marbleish pattern but matte finish. She likes it because it hides the dirt. Very Happy It comes in lots of patterns though. If anyone is interested I can get the name from her.

yenny

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 11:38 pm
Tova wrote:
Don't get laminate, it is not water proof (it's a thin layer of paper on top of pressboard). More than one contractor told me that they refuse to install laminate in a home since it's not a good material. The flooring company we ended up going with told me that they only get hired to install laminate in...foreclosure home because the bank just needs it to look good for a few months and then it's the new homeowner's problem.

We recently got LVT - luxury vinyl tile (I think this is what the previous poster is referring to) in wood-look planks installed in our kitchen, living room, dining room, and main level bathroom. Google Karndean. Honestly, it's really beautiful, I'm thrilled with it and I absolutely love it. No downsides really (except price, it's not cheap). It looks great, only needs a simple mopping to get to looking new again, soft on the feet, completely waterproof, stain resistant, scuff/scratch resistant. We have not had a mark we couldn't get out easily with a damp cloth. If for some reason a plank does need to be installed, it can easily be switched out and replaced (they showed us how to do this ourselves) with no other planks needing to be lifted up (unlike laminate where they are all interlocking).

Yup that's what I have, I didn't know it has such a name. When it comes to shopping and prices I'm out of the picture.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 12:06 am
I've run a lot of home remodels and rental unit remodels. Even for myself I've chosen commercial grade chemical proof flooring. There's not a lot of variety in colors or patterns but I have a preference for light colored floors. You may want to ask about them. The vinyl is thick, and resists stains. It takes a lot of work to scratch it.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 5:59 pm
please post people's names and numbers for floor installers
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics