Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
If your kid is LD are you happy with his/her school?

busymother

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 1:07 pm
If yes, can you tell me which school? I am at my wits end. Every time a school sounds good and we look more into it people tell us not to move for the school... Help!! We are looking pretty much anywhere in the USA.

busymother

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 2:46 pm
Is there a school that actually accommodates 85% of the population?

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 2:50 pm
I have relatives who are LD. They go to Winward in Westchester. The school is excellent. It is not a Jewish school but quite a few religious kids go there. They do not take kids with behavior issues. My Ds is LD and goes to a local sped school..unfortunately they spend most of the day dealing with behavioral issues and he is not one of them, it makes him frustrated. At this point, I can't switch him to Winward bc he is older and is a spiritual kid and would not be comfortable in a non jewish environment.

busymother

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 3:14 pm
Same here, my dd is 12. Not such major learning issues, just needs small class and lots of tlc...

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 4:48 pm
have you heard anything about tiferes miriam in brooklyn? I heard they deal with behavioral and learning issues, have small classes and a dedicated staff, and have both a regents and non regents track. I don't know much about them though because they start at 12 years old and my dd is younger than that, but her principal suggested that as a possibility for the future.

busymother

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 8:12 am
Thanks! I think I'm ready to move anywhere...but Brooklyn! I also don't think she needs a whole special ed school, just a good support system. Maybe to get pulled out twice a day 30-45 min each...

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 1:50 pm
I don't know the severity of your dd's learning disability but my son also was diagnosed with LD and is BH doing well in a mainstream classroom- I send to YCQ in queens. They have an awesome resource room situation set up and so far the teachers have really been on target in terms of understanding his needs and how his motivation isn't going to shine through with 100's on every test. Also I only know through 3rd grade from personal experience-
Let me know if you want more info, I'll PM you.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 7:21 pm
My doc went to Gesher yehudah in Brooklyn. It is an amazing school.

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 7:28 pm
busymother wrote:
Thanks! I think I'm ready to move anywhere...but Brooklyn! I also don't think she needs a whole special ed school, just a good support system. Maybe to get pulled out twice a day 30-45 min each...

I'm sure you realize this already, but just in case I want to clarify that even the best pull-out program is only as good as the support it gets in the rest of the school. If you have a school with a great resource room taking a kid out for 45 minutes in the morning and in the afternoon but the teachers are not accommodating enough in the classroom for the other 4 hours or so, it's a real problem.

busymother

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 9:16 pm
Thank you, I appreciate all these suggestions. Keep them coming!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics