Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Softbite heavenly chocolate chip cookies, anyone?

Dolly1

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 3:37 am
I tried sooooo many recipes already and didnt yet come across a good softbite chocolate chip cookie. can anyone pls share a good recipe?

thankyou

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 3:42 am
overtimecook.com has the yummiest soft CC cookie. They're called no margarine CC cookie. Running so cant' look it up but try!

Dolly1

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 3:59 am
got it! thanks a ton!

innovative mom

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 8:09 am
Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies {without margarine}
Author: Miriam Pascal, OvertimeCook.Com

Serves: 4 dozen

Originally featured in my column in Ami/Whisk Magazine
Ingredients
1 cup oil
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2½ cups flour
1 bag (about 1 -1 ½ cups) good quality chocolate chips
Instructions
Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together oil and sugars until smooth and creamy.
Add the vanilla, baking soda, eggs, and cornstarch, beating well to combine after each addition. Add flour and beat until just combined. Add chocolate chips and stir to combine.
Scoop the dough using a medium cookie scoop (or a heaping tablespoon) onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 9 minutes, until the tops are set. Do not overbake.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 12:51 pm
innovative mom wrote:
Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies {without margarine}
Author: Miriam Pascal, OvertimeCook.Com

Serves: 4 dozen

Originally featured in my column in Ami/Whisk Magazine
Ingredients
1 cup oil
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2½ cups flour
1 bag (about 1 -1 ½ cups) good quality chocolate chips
Instructions
Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together oil and sugars until smooth and creamy.
Add the vanilla, baking soda, eggs, and cornstarch, beating well to combine after each addition. Add flour and beat until just combined. Add chocolate chips and stir to combine.
Scoop the dough using a medium cookie scoop (or a heaping tablespoon) onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 9 minutes, until the tops are set. Do not overbake.

This seemed like a pretty typical - yummy, but typical - recipe till the cornstarch. What does that add?

workaholicmama

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 2:43 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
This seemed like a pretty typical - yummy, but typical - recipe till the cornstarch. What does that add?

Maybe crunch?

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 3:01 pm
just made them - no crunch. Not the best cookie I've ever tasted, but a typical good chocolate chip cookie. not sure what the cornstarch is for (I used potato starch cuz I didn't have corn starch)

centurion

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 4:36 pm
The cornstarch doesn't add crunch, it's actually what makes it soft and chewy. the purpose of it is to turn the flour into somewhat of a cake flour. potato starch has a similar effect.
I find that the instant pudding cookie is more similar to the storebought softbite cookies. the pudding has cornstarch in it already, plus other unnatural ingredients that help soften it further.
I've made this one from allrecipes: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/a.....kies/ and did a variation with chocolate pudding as well.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 7:37 pm
Cookies made with oil, IMHO, just aren't that good. That's because baking is really a chemical process and it is the mixture of solid fat (butter or shortening) with flour and other ingredients that produces what most people think of as a good cookie.

IMHO, butter cookies are of course the most divine but other fats can produce good results and some types of cookies actually need shortening rather than butter for the desired result. That is because butter and shortening melt at different temperatures resulting a different end result. Butter melts at the lowest temperature so often butter cookies recipes have one chilling the dough until put in the oven which helps prevent the cookie from spreading too much.

That said, Alton Brown did a great show about ten years ago on producing three different types of chocolate chip cookies - crisp is made with butter and standard flour; chewy is made with melted butter and bread flour and "puffy" or what you are probably seeking in terms of a "soft" cookie which is made with cake flour and butter flavored shortening.

There is now organic non-hydrogenated shortening (butter flavoring) so there is no reason to avoid shortening in the interests of health.

http://www.vitacost.com/spectr.....ening

You need to use cake flour to get the best result because it is lower in gluten and also absorbs moisture differently.

Here's Alton's recipe for Puffy Chocolate Chip Cookies.

The Puffy Chocolate Chip Cookie

Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown

Yield:2 1/2 dozen cookies

Ingredients
1 cup butter-flavored shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Hardware:
Ice cream scooper (#20 disher, to be exact)
Parchment paper
Baking sheets
Mixer

Directions

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine the shortening, sugar, and brown sugar in the mixer's work bowl, and cream until light and fluffy. In the meantime, sift together the cake flour, salt, and baking powder and set aside.

Add the eggs 1 at a time to the creamed mixture. Then add vanilla. Increase the speed until thoroughly incorporated.

With the mixer set to low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the shortening and combine well. Stir in the chocolate chips. Chill the dough. Scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 per sheet. Bake for 13 minutes or until golden brown and puffy, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool and store in an airtight-container.

BeHappy!

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 11:26 pm
centurion wrote:
The cornstarch doesn't add crunch, it's actually what makes it soft and chewy. the purpose of it is to turn the flour into somewhat of a cake flour. potato starch has a similar effect.
I find that the instant pudding cookie is more similar to the storebought softbite cookies. the pudding has cornstarch in it already, plus other unnatural ingredients that help soften it further.
I've made this one from allrecipes: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/a.....kies/ and did a variation with chocolate pudding as well.

The combination of this post and jmms chocolate post...not good! Lol! Made these cookies from allrecipes.com. absolutely delicious n taste like soft bite cookies!
Edited to add: I made I with chocolate pudding and its delicious like that too! Double chocolate!

Dolly1

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 2:51 am
I tried those cookies (Miriam Pascal) and I found the taste heavenly!!!! my kids devoured them!! Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics