Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Crockpots with digital settings?

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 10:11 am
After years and years I need to replace my crock pot. Most of the new ones seem to have gone digital with all kinds of bells and whistles. Are any of them usable for shabbos or do I need to seek out the old-school style with a simple knob?

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 10:39 am
If their are choices of settings (ie not just on/off) you can put a piece of foil in between the pot and the base, and then it's like a blech and you can use it on shabbos.

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 1:37 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
After years and years I need to replace my crock pot. Most of the new ones seem to have gone digital with all kinds of bells and whistles. Are any of them usable for shabbos or do I need to seek out the old-school style with a simple knob?

Some turn off automatically after a certain amount of time and won't stay on until Shabbos day seuda. Otherwise I don't think there's any issue. We use a digital one.

little_mage

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 3:00 pm
I have a digital one. I set how long I want it to cook for, and when it's done, it automatically goes to keep warm. I think I can only set it to cook for up to 20 hours, but I haven't found a limit for the keep warm setting.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 3:13 pm
I have 5+ crockpots (I am addicted) All of mine are the simple knob ones. I get then at target and walmart. I use it heavily over yomtov, Id be in big trouble if they turned off automatically.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 3:54 pm
Simple knob for sure.
Do you need help finding one? What size? They are usually easily available online for good prices.

tweety1

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 4:02 pm
I recently bought a new one. I bought a single knob by our local electronics store

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 10:27 pm
Thanks!

I had one for so many years no problem and then it gave out. I bought a replacement and the first time I used it the glass lid exploded. Obviously I did not appreciate the mess or the glass in our food.

I am trying to find a top quality slow cooker where hopefully this won't happen again but all the finer ones seem to be electronic and I just didn't know if it was going to be problematic (like the digital reading or temperature setting changes when you lift out the insert).

Really appreciate the input.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 10:34 pm
I have this one for close to 10 years and love it. Bought one for my friend a number of years ago and she loves it too.
http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton.....ooker

Go with any Hamilton Beach or Crock Pot oval manual slow cooker.
5 quarts http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton.....MDAV9
6 quarts http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Po.....ooker
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen