Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Legal name change for Green Card

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 12:06 am
Has anyone ever been in a similar situation to this?

I made Aliyah from the UK, and legally changed my English name to my Hebrew name at the time.

I got married in Israel.

Now I've moved to the US and am applying for a Green Card. I want to use my English first name, and my married last name.

Can I put these names down on the form? Or should I put my legal married Israeli name? How hard is it to change this afterwards?

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 12:09 am
amother wrote:
Has anyone ever been in a similar situation to this?

I made Aliyah from the UK, and legally changed my English name to my Hebrew name at the time.

I got married in Israel.

Now I've moved to the US and am applying for a Green Card. I want to use my English first name, and my married last name.

Can I put these names down on the form? Or should I put my legal married Israeli name? How hard is it to change this afterwards?

we had a similar issue with my husband. what name is on your passport and visa? That is the name you should use. When it is time to apply for US citizenship, at that point you will be given an option to change your name legally in the USA.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 1:10 am
My UK Passport has my English first name and maiden name. My Israeli passport has my Hebrew first name and married name. I didn't have a visa since I came on the ESTA Visa Waiver Program, using my UK passport.

WriterMom

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 1:27 am
I didn't come from Israel, but did come from a different country. If you have the same first name as in your birth cert. or passport, and you want the last name that's shown on your marriage certificate, it shouldn't be a problem, at least based on my experience.

Be aware, though, that if one says "Dvora" and you want to use Deborah, that could be more complicated, and so on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating