Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Making a bar mitzvah

Jewishmofm

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 3:04 am
I have no clue where to begin! Does anyone have a checklist or timeline they can share? (Like when to line up caterer, send out invites, etc)

underthestars

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 11:06 am
Jewishmofm--Mazel Tov!! Let me start by saying it depends on where you are making it--because each country has different "standards" for doing things. I have made many bar mitzvahs, and am happy to give you pointers from what I have learned over the years, but I made all of mine in America, and I don't know if that will be helpful to you or not. Feel free to PM me if you want

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 12:09 pm
Depending on where you live the timeline may fluctuate, but book the hall and caterer ASAP. Even a year in advance if your city has many s'machot.
Also, if you love a certain photographer's or DJ's work, book them ASAP, too.

I think 6 months in advance is plenty of time but, like I wrote above, it depends on where you live.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 2:45 pm
As previous posters said, it depends where you live. It also depends on how particular you are about the hall, caterer, etc.

First, order the tefillin from the sofer. Some suggest you take care of this a year before you need them, so check with your preferred sofer ASAP. That, of course, is the most crucial aspect of the bar mitzvah.

If you have your heart set on a particular hall/caterer, by all means, call even a year before since you know the date already.

Likewise, if you are having a Shabbos kiddush and meal, reserve the hall in your shul or neighborhood a year before so that you don't end up having a very long walk to the venue.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 3:29 pm
Reserve the parsha in your shul, if your son will be leining. Even if he's not, you want him on the shul's calendar for the week you want. I would do that right now. If your hall is in the same shul, book it at the same time. If not, you can start your research. By me, we do halls and caterers about a year in advance, though you can do less. You can also do the tefillin now, though that can wait a bit if you aren't picky about the sofer.

Then you can relax for a bit.

If going to a printer for invitations, I would go 3-4 months in advance. We send them out about six weeks before the occasion. So I start getting the mailing list together around when I order the invitations. You can also print them on your own, or email them.

Jewishmofm

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 1:59 am
We're in LA. Planning to do it at home, with catering/serving and clearing help.
Thank you all for your tips - some things I haven't even thought of. I'm trying to formulate more specific questions for y'all, but I'm clueless.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics