Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
2 year old doesn't know junk food exists - bad/good?
Previous  1  2

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 7:13 pm
Things in moderation. It also depends how the mom acts when the child is finally exposed to the stuff. I work in a preschool and some kids are so "deprived" I've seen them steal other kids sweet snacks and eat them in secret under the tables (and these are kids who are old enough to know what they're doing is not right).

Bitachon101

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 7:32 pm
Brunette, I disagree with u but we are allowed to have our own thoughts.
While in general we stick to healthier food, the kids see candy out there and do feel somewhat deprived. If I'm going to give them the treat I may as well save the sweet for something special like shabbos so that they associate shabbos as a sweet day. Many ppl give a 3 yr old boy at his upshern honey with the aleph Bais to associate aleph Bais with sweet.
My kids love shabbos and I pray they always feel this way.
They know its a special day that we don't do work and that we are supposed to eat special foods at the meal and get a special one shabbos treat. (Not truckloads of candy)
I actually turn shabbos party into a brachos party and we have grapes and grape juice and a cookie and they get to pick 2-3 candies and we make the brachos out loud together and they are happy and look fwd to shabbos.
They don't eat candy the rest of the week.
They don't feel deprived.
I get that overuse of food as a prize is not healthy but moderation association by all means in my book is realistic and works great.
(My kids call candy, shabbos candy, and cookies and cakes are called shabbos cookies...lol, they termed it, not me!)

yenny

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 7:58 pm
Maybe her son has to be on a specific diet that you are not aware of.

Bruria

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 11:01 pm
amother wrote:
This is where I think people go wrong. Junk food should not be associated with shabbos. What's with the shabbos parties and giving kids nosh so they aren't bored? This is destructive when we sooth with food. Junk food should not be used to entertain children. Also using food to reward is bad. Food needs to be for fueling the body - not as a reward or to entertain when kids are bored.

I didn't say anywhere that we should just stuff kids with nosh, I'm just saying that a 2 year old should not be deprived of a dessert on Shabbat, especially if he sees everyone eating it! I'm all for delaying junk food, but if there is cheesecake on Shavuot, I'm not going to say no to that Very Happy!

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 6:49 am
Bruria wrote:
I didn't say anywhere that we should just stuff kids with nosh, I'm just saying that a 2 year old should not be deprived of a dessert on Shabbat, especially if he sees everyone eating it! I'm all for delaying junk food, but if there is cheesecake on Shavuot, I'm not going to say no to that Very Happy!

I never deprived my kids. If they ask, they receive. My point is that by not programming them for junk, they don't crave it.

My kids are teens and have always eaten junk in moderation because it was never obligatory in my house. I don't serve dessert as a rule so there is no seeing others at the table. DH likes to make a brocha on food after the meal so I will give him compote or grapes. If he asks, I will give him ice cream. There is no automatic piling on food. If my kids want, they also can have with no restraint.

I end up dumping a bunch of junk out several times a year which we receive or the kids all for. My kids might eat half a single serving chocolate bar and throw away the rest. I have taught them to eat when hungry and that it is ok not to finish your plate.

I don't eat junk as a rule and I am glad my kids don't.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 2:29 pm
Junk food was nonexistent in our home. None of the adults had a desire or taste for it so we had healthy snacks and usually fruit based deserts during the week. Candy and sweets were never used as an enticement or a reward.None of us were soda pop drinkers so that wasn't an issue. In the summer there was always a nicely spice decaf herb tea in the fridge with lots of fruit on hand. Frozen pineapple slices on a stick took the place of freezer pop. When the kids got older the each got their own set of popsicle gear so they could practice making popsicles to their own tastes. Yes we had candy, good candy, and it was eaten conservatively. My cakes were seldom iced, but often served with fruit toppings or fillings.

When given the opportunity to eat junk, they would give it a try but didn't find sugary or salty snacks very enjoyable. They had gotten used to the tastes of real foods and fruits. None of the kids turned into junk food junkies, all learned to make good choices about food. Socially our family and friends ate healthy so there was no peer pressure to provide junk food.

Bruria

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 5:13 pm
Magenta Yenta, I know what you mean! Mine don't care for soda or snacks in general because we just don't have that habit, it's good because they end up liking things that are better for them naturally, great way to go!

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 5:27 pm
Bruria wrote:
Magenta Yenta, I know what you mean! Mine don't care for soda or snacks in general because we just don't have that habit, it's good because they end up liking things that are better for them naturally, great way to go!

To this day my DD will proclaim that popcorn with nutritional yeast and miso is a breakfast food!!

wiki

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 6:16 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the interesting responses.

(To the amother who has a neighbor that only gives her son brown rice, not white, you should go and tell her that brown rice actually has high levels of arsenic and recent studies show that white rice is in fact healthier. And that small children shouldn't have so much fiber anyway. Wink Oh, and if she is serving him brown rice, it should be soaked overnight with something acidic to get rid of the phytic acid.)

So, modelling good behavior seems like the winning strategy.

The arsenic levels depend entirely on what region of the world the rice grew in.

wiki

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 6:19 pm
I generally agree that if you want kids to understand junk food in moderation, then you have to model that moderation for them, and be just as moderate as you want them to be.

But, if your kid is struggling to eat the healthy food in front of them cooperatively, you might need to sneak your junk food for times when the kid isn't around anyway.

We are pretty moderate junk food consumers, but since our toddler can be a fickle healthy food consumer, lately we have taken to saving the junk food for when no child eyes are watching. (But yes, we do let DC eat a cookie sometimes after finishing a desired amount of healthy food.)

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 11:04 pm
We tried keeping my oldest in the dark about junk food and she's now my pickiest eater and likes very few fruits and vegetables.
My youngest, who got fed Bamba at 6 months by an older sibling, is my least picky, loves most produce and will happily pick a cucumber over a piece of cake.

alittlebirdie

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 11:21 pm
My kids know what junk food is but they also love fruits and veggies. I stock up on the healthy stuff - they can have as much as they wan all day and the junk for shabbos and special occasions. If kids learn to eat healthy snacks they won't need the junk food.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics