Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
4 yr old ds on bus for 3 hrs today
Previous  1  2

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 5:23 am
I would pay for a taxi or pay a neighbor to drive him. That is absurd.

CantBe

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 5:31 am
OP, how did your son feel about his 3 hour ride? When my sister was in kindergarten she was the first on - last off child. One day my mother complained and asked that they be fair and reverse the direction home. My sister was the first one off coming home. She came into the house all mad!! Why did she have to get off first? She had to miss all the fun on the school bus coming home!!

Three hours is ridiculous but for 4 yr olds the bus ride is sometimes as exciting as any day camp activities

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 6:23 am
So obviously if ds is to continue at this camp I will have to figure out a better transportation plan. So to for all the suggestions.
My bigger concern is that no one at the day camp has stepped up to say we r so sorry this won't happen again. Or "I will make sure he is is put on a different bus. Or... I am trusting the preschool director to look after my son for the next 2 months. If her best suggestion was to speak to someone in the office, rather than take any responsibility for herself, should I continue to send my son back to this day camp

Barbara

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 9:32 am
Bus routes for the first few days of camp are usually h3ll. I remember one year with DS, a bus driver went north, instead of south, on the highway from the camp. The bus counselors told him he was going wrong, but he insisted that he was correct. Finally, they had to call the camp, which called the bus company, which contacted the driver (who was also fired).

Even as a kid, I remember this happening.

Give it a couple of days to calm down, then if it doesn't improve, think about switching camps.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 9:56 am
amother wrote:
So obviously if ds is to continue at this camp I will have to figure out a better transportation plan. So to for all the suggestions.
My bigger concern is that no one at the day camp has stepped up to say we r so sorry this won't happen again. Or "I will make sure he is is put on a different bus. Or... I am trusting the preschool director to look after my son for the next 2 months. If her best suggestion was to speak to someone in the office, rather than take any responsibility for herself, should I continue to send my son back to this day camp

But it will happen again, and putting him on a different bus won't help either.

What they should have said is "please bear with us, the schedule takes longer the first week, but by next week it will be normal and shorter." That's what my DC day camp said - in advance.

She may be a very warm loving caring director but it's possible the bus scheduling is out of her hands.

maybe just for this first week arrange alternate transportation. That makes the most sense to me.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 10:41 am
gp2.0 wrote:
But it will happen again, and putting him on a different bus won't help either.

What they should have said is "please bear with us, the schedule takes longer the first week, but by next week it will be normal and shorter." That's what my DC day camp said - in advance.

She may be a very warm loving caring director but it's possible the bus scheduling is out of her hands.

maybe just for this first week arrange alternate transportation. That makes the most sense to me.

I agree that giving one week with alternate transportation, then trying again makes the most sense.

But I'm still shaking my head. Everyone saying that it is normal because it's the first week for a 4 year old to be on a bus for 3 hours because, well, these things happen?!

I sure am glad I am a teacher with time off in the summer to handle kid transportation. And live OOT.

Liebs

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 1:34 pm
amother wrote:
Usually, the first child on is the first child off. If he gets dropped last, wouldn't he also get picked up last, and the bus in would be easier?

the opposite usually.
Closer to camp gets picked up last and dropped first....
a to b to c to camp back to c to b to al

I think there is a law a kid can be on a bus up to an hour and a half. Maybe that's just for yellow school bus services, but try finding out.

Is there a bus counselor or is your child left alone with drive on bus?

bookie

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 1:35 pm
Liebs wrote:
the opposite usually.
Closer to camp gets picked up last and dropped first....
a to b to c to camp back to c to b to al

I think there is a law a kid can be on a bus up to an hour and a half. Maybe that's just for yellow school bus services, but try finding out.

Is there a bus counselor or is your child left alone with drive on bus?

Both of my kids camps in brooklyn do not reverse the route so first on is first off

Barbara

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 1:50 pm
imasinger wrote:
I agree that giving one week with alternate transportation, then trying again makes the most sense.

But I'm still shaking my head. Everyone saying that it is normal because it's the first week for a 4 year old to be on a bus for 3 hours because, well, these things happen?!

I sure am glad I am a teacher with time off in the summer to handle kid transportation. And live OOT.

Saying that these things happen doesn't make them good or right or any less frustrating. Its just an overreaction to assume that it will happen after the first day or two, or to pull a kid out of a camp over that.

lk1234

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 8:19 pm
so how did it go today?

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 10:49 pm
First thing ds said when he woke was that the bus driver doesn't know where our house is and he doesn't like the bus
Sad( I drove and picked up my son. I spoke to the preschool director when I arrived. Asked her about switching busses and ... Her immediate response was she can't help me! but the nice high school girl in the office said she'd take care of it. And then she did.
I feel bad that this day camp is not staffed by the enthusiastic warm and genuinely caring ppl that ds yeshiva had. But I really don't know that any other day camp in Brooklyn is better. Oh well.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 9:32 am
notshanarishona wrote:
I would pay for a taxi or pay a neighbor to drive him. That is absurd.

Paying so much for a camp is absurd, too. I would keep him home rather than pay a taxi or even a uber (do you trust a random guy with your kids? I don't, and I'm just so not paying and shlepping for 4 trips a day so I can go along).

I knew of parents committed to not public schooling whose kid(s) were on the bus almost 2h each trip.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers