Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Who do we boycott?

Ashrei

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 10:53 pm
I was reading this article that said we should boycott the boycotters.

I was wondering if there was some trustworth list somewhere with some guidelines for that...

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com......html

Ashrei

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 11:07 pm
bump?

Kfar

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 2:20 am
Here is a list of the companies being boycotted by BDS anti-semites -- buy from these companies, it is as simple as that:

http://www.interfaithpeaceinit.....g.pdf

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 8:29 am
I appreciate the sentiment, and know that some people say, won't buy German products. But let me quote Rav Hirsch in Av Harachamim on the word, Vayinkom, May He exact retribution:
We do not pray that we be strong enough to avenge our martyrs; Jews are not motivated by a lust to repay violence and murder with violence and murder. Rather we pray that G-d choose how and when to atone for the blood of His fallen martyrs. For the living, decency and integrity remain the primary goals of social life (from the Artscroll siddur).

So boycott if you will, but do it very deliberately, not a knee-jerk reaction.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 11:48 am
They say a buycott counteracts it. That means buying Israeli products and from companies against any part of BDS.

Kfar

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 1:00 am
yes, Pinkfridge, I'm not sure I understand your answer -- are you saying we should not support the companies being boycotted? we should not boycott the boycotters? both? neither? these people are anti-semites hurting Jews b'eretez. Please try to stay focused b/c the results are very real to individual Jews.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 8:26 am
I don't think I said it as clearly as I should have.
If people don't boycott - due to lack of awareness or some other reason - I don't think they're evil.
If people do boycott, and now that you bring it up again, it sounds like a good idea, just make sure it's a legitimate list. Thanks for drawing attention to this.

m in Israel

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 11:37 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I don't think I said it as clearly as I should have.
If people don't boycott - due to lack of awareness or some other reason - I don't think they're evil.
If people do boycott, and now that you bring it up again, it sounds like a good idea, just make sure it's a legitimate list. Thanks for drawing attention to this.

My understanding is that what is being proposed by Kfar is not to come up with a specific list but rather to specifically buy from those who are being boycotted. IOW it makes no difference if the list is "legitimate" -- if these companies are being targeting for their perceived support of or business with Israel, we should go out of our way to give them business. It actually makes a lot of sense to me -- basically, you are making the boycotts less effective -- if for everyone who doesn't patronize these business there is someone who bedavka does, they will not suffer from the pressure against them. I don't really see any downside to it -- I certainly don't see any "vengence" or desire for revenge -- quite the opposite -- the goal is to support those who are being attacked as a result of their business with Israel and protect them from those who are currently trying to do them harm. (And the example with German goods is in any case very different -- once the war is over, you can talk about retribution -- in the middle of a fight it is about survival, not "retribution and vengeance")

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 2:06 pm
Thanks M in Israel. Sounds good to me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics