Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
How to show major appreciation?

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 3:02 pm
does anyone have any suggestions for how to show major appreciation to someone who has done so much for us without any hopes for any remuneration, simply out of the goodness of their heart. we already sent this person a nice platter with a card for shabbat, but this person has gone above and beyond for us and im brainstorming for more ideas of how to show our appreciation.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 8:52 pm
bump

innovative mom

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 9:17 pm
How about a beautifully written poem/letter expressing your appreciation?

agreer

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 9:27 pm
Gift card ... if you don't know where, just get a pre-loaded Visa....

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 10:02 pm
We help out a family financially. They gave us a beautifully framed gorgeous piece with a brocha for our home. At first I didn't like them spending their money on us when their need is so great. Then I didn't like the idea of displaying a thank you. I felt obligated to put it up. Now it brings me joy everytime I see it.

kiwi strawberry

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 10:15 pm
What about something from here? They have beautiful pieces for the home in all different sizes and price ranges.

http://www.matanel.com/en/home......html

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 10:21 pm
Like maroon amother posted, I think a birchas habayis would be wonderful.

Shopmiami49

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 10:23 pm
Whatever present you get, a nice heartfelt card is what will make it the most special.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 11:25 pm
op here. I like the birchas habayis thing because of the thought it shows, not just the money spent.
Im thinking also of things that are not necessarily tangible gifts. Like a service or honor, I don't know.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 12:48 am
Is there a tzeddaka organization that these people are involved with? Maybe you can make a donation in their honor?

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 12:57 am
amother wrote:
op here. I like the birchas habayis thing because of the thought it shows, not just the money spent.
Im thinking also of things that are not necessarily tangible gifts. Like a service or honor, I don't know.

The piece was more than a birchas habayis. It was personalized with a thank you and our names. We have received other framed certificates and thank yous. This seems to be a thing with some guests being able to recognize the artists of these pieces. I know DH loves them.

You can do a service or a gemach in their merit.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 1:28 am
Keep in mind, many people DON'T like getting gifts they feel like they have to display. It can be an imposition more than a gift.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 1:36 am
oliveoil wrote:
Keep in mind, many people DON'T like getting gifts they feel like they have to display. It can be an imposition more than a gift.

I totally agree. Many folks will welcome gratitude but they may not want to put it on display. They prefer to do their acts privately preserving their own dignity that of the recipient.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 1:45 am
oliveoil wrote:

I agree. I mentioned that earlier as an initial reaction. I didn't want to display a thank you. We turned down a dedication of part of a school to us and the principal was shocked. He said no one else did. It seems that many people love recognition. That is why dedications are successful fund raisers. I don't even want to be on a list in the lobby.

I think many people enjoy these things because otherwise how would guests know who did the artwork? At least these things are private unlike dedications.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 3:13 pm
any more ideas?

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 3:20 pm
In a similar situation we made a "Parnas HaYom" donation in their honor to our shul. It is a dedication of a day's learning (lots of different programs and shiurim there) and is a substantial donation. The shul sends out a nice certificate with their names on it. The people loved the gift.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics