Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Traveling with a Stroller
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 7:13 pm
They don't allow strollers on the plane.
I would purchase an inexpensive umbrella stroller and take it with me toward the plane, then leave it right before the doorway of the plane. I would take along with a baby carrier as well. Small umbrella strollers are more likely to come out quickly upon landing and less likely to get damaged (and are inexpensive to replace in case of damage). When you get off the plane, just pick up your stroller right outside the doorway of the plane. Sometimes there a few minute wait but not much.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 9:29 am
I've heard of lost or broken strollers and car seats.
I know some planes allow them on board though still have to see it but if they legally allow, at least you would save the carseat...
Babywear if you can (it makes me hot and tired very quick). Bassinet will soon be too small but you are allowed to have the kid on your lap up to 2 iirc. For a short trip I would save on a place but if you need to sleep in, get this place.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 9:46 am
ra_mom wrote:
They don't allow strollers on the plane.
I would purchase an inexpensive umbrella stroller and take it with me toward the plane, then leave it right before the doorway of the plane. I would take along with a baby carrier as well. Small umbrella strollers are more likely to come out quickly upon landing and less likely to get damaged (and are inexpensive to replace in case of damage). When you get off the plane, just pick up your stroller right outside the doorway of the plane. Sometimes there a few minute wait but not much.

IME, nothing has ever happened to my stroller bli ayin hora from traveling. I never even thought of that problem. But, I'm glad you all made me aware b/c I want my stroller to last. But, checking any type of stroller by the plane-side is a big deal. Sometimes it's 1-2-3, but other times, I have had to wait a long time for the stroller to come back from the doorway of the plane. I think it's b/c of the elevator in London what smile said. With a close connection and a huge airport (Heathrow is huge.) it can make me miss my plane. I'm just trying to decide if it's at all practical to not have a stroller at all during stopovers and checking in our stroller as luggage.

Shoelover

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 9:54 am
I travel very often and what I find works best is car seat wheels (I got them on Amazon) so I walk into the airport and if I'm taking a stroller w me I check it w my luggage and then I wheel my toddler w me like luggage and I have a car seat on the plane.

Shoelover

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 9:54 am
If you don't want to take a car seat the baby zen yoyo fits in the overhead compartment

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 10:37 am
amother wrote:
About your first point, I hope there aren't countless amounts of people with this type of story. (We were also stuck in London for a number of hours and even though we got vouchers, there was almost nothing that had a Kosher certification. On the next leg of the flight, we didn't have any meals ordered for us.) We met a lovely Lubavitch couple who gave us a lot of their "extra" food (some of it was veges they couldn't take either way and couldn't eat, so they said). Mi kiamcha yisroel! Although, this time, I plan on packing tons of food in case something happens and just to keep my baby fed and occupied.

I think my shortest stopover is 1 hr. and 10 mins. and it's in London. The next stop there's more time and I think travel agent said it's the same terminal.

Amother who mentioned the stroller, thank you for your generous offer. The problem is that we're both anonymous. Either way, I really think the idea of checking in the stroller as a piece of luggage is fabulous. Unless we get delayed, the layover is short. I think I can handle using a baby carrier. The baby can probably crawl around on the floor by the gate. Do you think that's a problem? Will people look at me strangely? Hygienically, do they clean the floors often. (I"m not a clean freak, but very public places make me nervous.)

Im glad you like my idea- it worked best for us. My baby was also 1 and we carried him in a carrier and let him crawl around - anyway we didn'nt want him to be tied I. A stroller before a long flight , he needs to move around!
Sure strollers are easier but with stop overs - I wouldn't dare take the risk ( unless again you get a stroller someone doesn't need and throw it away or give it up in case it doesn't come on time).

Btw sure it's dirty in the airport - so dress your baby in long pants ( thin if its hot) and change them as you board the plain. No biggie.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 12:04 pm
If you are renting a car in Canada, check if you can rent a car seat as well. I've done that before. It might get expensive if you're going to be there for a long visit though.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 12:31 pm
We flew el-Al. They gate-checked both the stroller and two car seats. One we strapped into a seat and ds slept most of the way in it.
I used a carrier for my 6 month old.
Even if he's not used to a carrier, practice a few times at home to get you used to it. On your back may be easier. Since its for a short time, he may just enjoy the ride.
Ask all your friends to get the easiest and comfiest.
When we gate checked, they delivered them to the gate on arrival. Maybe it depends on the airline, airport and flight?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 4:53 pm
I don't know what airline you're flying or where in Canada you're headed, but you should be aware that not all of the airlines will bring a stroller to the gate in Toronto. (we found this out the hard way) Alitalia, for example, will send your stroller to the baggage claim instead- which is a nightmare with a non-walker. It's a good idea to check with the airline to find out.

Also- most airports require you to go through security again before you get on your next flight- so keep that in mind if you have tight connections on the way. Having a stroller is infinitely easier than running while carrying a toddler and your luggage- but you need to make sure that they'll give you your stroller- that's another thing to check with the airline, btw.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 10:08 am
OP here. Some interesting hashgacha pratis! I was dreading two short stopovers w/ the stroller (hence this thread). A few weeks ago, my travel agent contacted me and asked me if I would like a 5 hr. stopover in Heathrow and then go straight to my destination (getting there 20 mins. earlier)!! I am so happy.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics