Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Your own family tree app or site

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 9:43 am
I want to make my own family tree on the computer. I've typed up one just on word and it's a little complicated, but more so, it got lost when we changed computers Mad . I know, I should have saved it, but I thought I did. Anyway, I don't care of it's an app or one that's only online. I googled and searched apps, but I don't know what's good and not. Do you use any? Any reviews on any? I want to be able to put in birthdays, anniversarys, and deaths. TIA

Sanguine

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 9:51 am
https://www.geni.com/ They'll even send you birthday/anniversary reminders. Once you start entering more distant relatives, they'll find someone else who's already on geni and they'll link you all together. Your family tree will end up including thousands of "relatives" in no time

imachossid

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 9:55 am
Another vote for geni.com... very good website.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 10:13 am
Okay, I checked it out, but it seems public. Am I wrong? Can other people find the names I put up?

Sanguine

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 10:25 am
The site would fit OP's needs, but I think it's the funniest site. I have a second cousin who insisted on adding us all to his tree. Then my niece's FIL added all her relatives. When he saw that I was already on Geni he asked if he can combine our trees. I said NO but he couldn't resist. I have 1,000 people on my tree Rolling Eyes . Some go all the way back to the 17 hundreds.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 10:31 am
I don't want to link other peoples. I want just my family, the ones I put in. Bh, we have a large family and I want to keep them organized Smile . Also if it's public, I don't know if all my family members would want to be on it.

imachossid

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 10:33 am
yo'ma wrote:
Okay, I checked it out, but it seems public. Am I wrong? Can other people find the names I put up?
.If people would search for a name that's on it …they'd probably be able to find it. Also if a person is on another person's tree both of you would get the option to match /combine them.

imachossid

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 10:35 am
Any website would probably be public. There's also ancestry.com & myheritage.com.

imachossid

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 10:36 am
It's not totally public, people can't see the tree unless they login to it.

imachossid

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 10:37 am
Only able to match if have the same family member. The other person can match it on their tree if they want to...

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 10:39 am
I believe that on on Geni.com living people's full info can only be seen by relatives to a certain degree (or maybe people in your tree). Otherwise they are just identified with an initial and last name. My tree there is vast and I've found it very useful. I have always been into geneology. The interface is a little clunky, though it has improved over the years. If you decide to use it, I would suggest taking it very slow until you fully understand how it works as it is very easy to make big mistakes that can be difficult to fix. Feel free to PM me if you decide to use and need help.

SYA

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 11:04 am
Ancestry.com was difficult to use. You either start at the top or at the bottom. Can't start in the middle. It gave me trouble adding my grandparents siblings and their children. Don't know if it was me who didn't know how to use the program or if that's how their system works. Found a different site that was better which closed recently.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 11:55 am
I got an idea Idea

Use a phony last name on your genie tree. You don't have to make it very complicated. If you change one letter the computer won't find you in a search (too many names - Genie doesn't correct names or try to guess)

Just change the first letter of the last name - move it up one

Cohn become Dohn
Greenberg become Hreenberg....

If someone looks for Sara Cohn. Genie won't suggest Sara Dohn. And it won't say Hreenberg can't be a name (spellcheck?)

So you'll have the use of the site for your private tree and no one will ever find you. You'll have to give your email to register. If everyone gives their emails, you'll all be reminded of Birthdays and anniversaries - "today is sarah Dohn's Birthday" (Who is Sara Dohn???) - And then you can also send each other Birthday cakes and presents (cyber) and messages

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 8:15 pm
Thank you. I used geni and I finally finished.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics