Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Fluffy WW Challa
Previous  1  2

gmgv

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 1:02 am
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/I.....ric=0

Awesome recipe! I proof the yeast in water and let it rise a lot longer than the recipe calls for

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 7:57 am
SorGold wrote:
white whole wheat is 100% whole wheat
The difference is that is white wheat as opposed to red wheat or spring wheat vs winter wheat. I grind my own flour and it is whole wheat as I do not sift out the bran and the color is different because it is a different variety.

Well, commercially ground then. My point is, don't try my recipe with what the stores call white whole wheat. Use 100% whole wheat.

SorGold

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 8:13 am
White whole wheat flour may not work in your recipe because it does have a lower gluten content and works best in pastries, however, it does make fluffy bread as well in the right conditions. Regular or hard winter wheat is best suited for breads but many do not like the taste or color.
All purpose flour sold in stores is actually a mixture of the 2 types of flour (minus the fiber and the bran) that is balanced to be best suited for all kinds of baking needs.

ETA: vital wheat gluten does help alot when using white whole wheat as it is lower in gluten (I do not use with my recipe though)

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 8:20 am
And gluten's not necessary in my recipe.
Sorgold, I'm filing you in my mental rolodex for future reference. Thanks!

SorGold

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 8:27 am
PinkFridge wrote:
And gluten's not necessary in my recipe.
Sorgold, I'm filing you in my mental rolodex for future reference. Thanks!

I have a thing for homemade bread...At this point I am mostly baking with sourdough so if you are ever interested or have questions with that you know where to find me ... LOL

buster

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 12:39 am
israelgirl wrote:
My Challa gets loads of compliments. Have had many people tell me they've never tried better, and no one knows its whole wheat! Wink I like to make a small batch as well, every Friday so its delicious, easy and fresh. My husband also very much prefers not sweet cakey challah.

I use the 70% Rubenfeld bag of flour (When I add vital wheat gluten its even better!)

1/2 c. sugar (or less if you want)
1 Tbsp. salt
2 1/4-1/2 c. warm water
(mix together with a spoon)
Add: 1/2 c oil (mix)

In the kilo bag of flour itself (it's about 6 1/2 c flour I think) I put 1 1/2 TBSP yeast and mix it with the flour. (I know I was also shocked that you don't BUBBLE the yeast first. Trick is to mix it into the flour!)
Then add the flour and yeast mixture (its dry yeast btw) into the warm liquid mixture. Knead until soft and form into a big ball.

Spread a bit of oil on top to keep it smooth and soft and cover and put in a warm place. (I usually leave on my counter, but in the winter I put it near the stove)

Rise for 2 1/2 hours (or more if you want!) Shape and rise an additional 20-30 min. Egg and sesame seeds, bakes about 15-20 minutes in the oven (small loaves)

Good luck!!!

no eggs?

lifesagift

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 12:53 am
Regardless of how long u poof the yeast/dough, the most important part is giving it plenty of time to rise after its braided (before the egg wash)

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 1:25 am
I have used the Breslov's No-fail Challah Recipe from somewhere on imamother (am I dating myself here? I think it was already a little old when I found it Wink ) with pure whole wheat, half whole wheat and half white, and white whole wheat. Comes out delicious every time. I think the texture was less fluffy when I used white whole wheat but also I gave it less time to rise that time (accidentally) so not sure exactly what happened there. Seemed a little more dense anyway. But still delicious. The whole wheat I find if I'm generous with the rising time it comes out fluffier. Not TOO generous, you don't want it to collapse. Also make sure the oven's not too hot because it rises more in the oven if it heats up a little more gradually. My own theory, not science.

juggling

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 1:26 am
I like the recipe in Spice and Spirit. It uses a "sponge" for the first rising, mixing in only half the flour so it is lighter. Then you mix in the rest of the flour and the dough stays light.

Also, with regard to different types of flour. I am in Israel, and I like to use rubinfeld or nitzat haduvdevan 100% whole wheat. I find not all brands come out as well.

70% whole wheat is, I think, a bit of a scam. At one point I used to sub the 70% flour for white in all my recipes, thinking I was being so virtuous. No one seems able to tell me exactly what 70% means, only that it isn't a mix of whole wheat and white, but rather that it's 70% refined. So I did some googling and discovered that plain white flour is about 60% refined. (Think about it, they take out the bran but they leave *something* of the wheat, or it would be air, rather than flour.) So I stopped bothering with the expensive 70% flour that "doesn't even taste like whole wheat." Of course it doesn't, it's not whole wheat!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking