Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Cheapest place to live within 2 hrs from NY?

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 12:38 pm
I guess you would call us yeshivish - Dh wears a white shirt/black hat...we don't have tv, no non jewish newspapers or movies (although I sometimes watch online, when the kids are not around, or if just dh and I go away together) dh works full time. Not sure how else to describe us.

Dh and I would love to buy our own place rather then throw our money to rent every month. We have a lot of money saved up, but not enough to buy in NY. Both our families live in NY and we would ideally like to be within a 2 hr drive, so we can visit often. (I guess we would also be open to anywhere if we really fit in) What places have cheaper housing and tuition were we would fit in?

mirror

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 1:19 pm
Pocono mountains.

But you need to start your own community.

Have you considered Lakewood, NJ or Highland Park, NJ?

GreenEyes26

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 1:26 pm
From what I know of Waterbury, CN, it sounds like that would be a good fit for you.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 2:27 pm
We are pretty similar to you in most but not all of what you described and we are planning on moving to rhawnhurst Philadelphia. It's 2 hours from brooklyn/monsey, 1 hour from lakewood. They have a large enough community that they have kosher ammenities/schools and a wide range of people from yeshvish, reg litvish, modern, chabad, etc etc. The real estate prices are much cheaper then ny, I think a 3 bedroom house is around 200k, 4 between 200-300k.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 3:15 pm
How about Scranton?

Post Sat, Jul 04 2015, 10:19 pm
Waterbury CT is hour and half from monsey and hour and half from
brooklyn. The commute is easy and the community is very warm and welcoming

abby1776

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 2:09 am
You can still get deals in Monsey - chestnut ridge. Or try Passaic/Clifton.

Baltimore has cheap housing but it's not close to NY.

There may be areas of Long Island but I don't know about them.

abby1776

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 2:10 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
How about Scranton?

As much as I love Scranton (my mom is from there and we went to visit my grandmother a lot) it is not 2 hours from NY. More like 3. And whenever we went there was always a blizzard making travel even longer and more difficult.

shanie5

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 9:16 pm
abby1776 wrote:
As much as I love Scranton (my mom is from there and we went to visit my grandmother a lot) it is not 2 hours from NY. More like 3. And whenever we went there was always a blizzard making travel even longer and more difficult.

gotta correct you here. It takes 2 hours 15 minutes to drive from brooklyn to scranton. more if traffic in ny is bad-it is rarely bad here.
As for blizzards, while we are known for a lot of snow, in the past few years NY, NJ, and Philadelphia have gotten hit a lot worse than us. And the hurricane totally missed us too.

gold21

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 11:04 pm
How about the Raintree neighborhood in Lakewood? Working men like your husband, similar hashkafos to those you mentioned, affordable housing.

abby1776

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 4:57 am
shanie5 wrote:
gotta correct you here. It takes 2 hours 15 minutes to drive from brooklyn to scranton. more if traffic in ny is bad-it is rarely bad here.
As for blizzards, while we are known for a lot of snow, in the past few years NY, NJ, and Philadelphia have gotten hit a lot worse than us. And the hurricane totally missed us too.

right - there is never any traffic in Brooklyn or crossing the George Washington bridge or the Verrazano.

And the multiple times my family had to stop and spend the night in a motel on the way back from Scranton due to the weather is my imagination also.

alittlebirdie

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 5:02 am
I also heard that waterbury is a goood choice in tems of cheep and close to ny. I heard it's about 11/2 hr away from nY

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:32 am
Thanks for all your suggestions. I will be doing some research on those places.

smileyface:)

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 9:58 am
did you find a place??
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating