Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Info on bayswater

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Jul 04 2015, 11:17 pm
looking for current info on bayswater. We are thinking of moving there and wanted to know what people living in the community can tell me. My concerns I guess are that it is perceived as more "nerdy" than the surrounding areas, and that it has that kind of reputation. I am somewhat trendy ( like to dress my kids nicely but not over the top, am pretty fashionable like nice things etc) I am not an overly materialistic person and I don't focus too much on these things, I also don't care to be exactly the same type as everyone else there, but don't wanna feel like I don't belong. I am attracted by the cheaper housing, nice community like feeling, and the lack of extreme materialism the five towns has. I wud love some input thanks!

SplitPea

Post Sat, Jul 04 2015, 11:33 pm
amother wrote:
looking for current info on bayswater. We are thinking of moving there and wanted to know what people living in the community can tell me. My concerns I guess are that it is perceived as more "nerdy" than the surrounding areas, and that it has that kind of reputation. I am somewhat trendy ( like to dress my kids nicely but not over the top, am pretty fashionable like nice things etc) I am not an overly materialistic person and I don't focus too much on these things, I also don't care to be exactly the same type as everyone else there, but don't wanna feel like I don't belong. I am attracted by the cheaper housing, nice community like feeling, and the lack of extreme materialism the five towns has. I wud love some input thanks!

Come visit.

I will say one of the things I like about Bayswater is kids dress less trendy. "Nerdy" you will need to explain more. We have trendy people here but the vast majority of people are happy to just be themselves.

I would suggest you come for a shabbos. Talk to people. See if you feel you could be at home here. There are many who live in far Rockaway and the five towns who would never want to step foot here and many of us who would not want to live anywhere else.

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Jul 04 2015, 11:36 pm
amother wrote:

The cool thing about Bayswater is that you can do your thing, whatever your thing may be, and no one will say boo and people will like you :-) we moved here 7 months ago, and I really like it. Each of my friends have their own personalities and tastes and likes. Some are more trendy, some are more nerdy....some, like me, just don't give a hoot what other people think. You definitely won't be out of place if you or your kids wear nice, trendy clothes. I think it really works to bayswaters benefit that people think it's nerdy, becasue it keeps a certain type of person from wanting to live here.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 12:48 am
Former Bayswater resident here. I loved it out there. Felt like we can do whatever we want, and especially dress however we want..Kids never had shabbos shoes..sandles or weekday shoes were ok to wear to park and shul.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 1:04 am
I don't think anyone in Bayswater will make you feel uncomfortable if you like dressing your kids up. And it certainly isn't a place where you will feel pressured to "keep up with the Goldbergs" in terms of trendy fashion.

shoshanim999

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 1:38 am
If its very important to you not to live in an area that is considered "nerdy" then Bayswater is not for you. Bayswater has a wonderful mix of people but is definitely not held in the same regard as Far Rockaway, Lawrence, Cedarhurst, and Woodmere. I hope nobody minds me speaking the truth and I'm sure not everybody in these surrounding areas feels this way.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 2:12 am
shoshanim999 wrote:
If its very important to you not to live in an area that is considered "nerdy" then Bayswater is not for you. Bayswater has a wonderful mix of people but is definitely not held in the same regard as Far Rockaway, Lawrence, Cedarhurst, and Woodmere. I hope nobody minds me speaking the truth and I'm sure not everybody in these surrounding areas feels this way.

I think if you (OP) regularly use the word "nerdy" to describe people who don't dress as nicely as you do, you may not fit in in Bayswater.

SplitPea

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 8:37 am
amother wrote:
I think if you (OP) regularly use the word "nerdy" to describe people who don't dress as nicely as you do, you may not fit in in Bayswater.

Well said!

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 8:55 am
Some f these replies are exactly what I was worried abt. Nerdy is the word I've heard from others regarding bayswater, not my own description of people who don't dress like me. I am open minded and don't care that everyone in my community dresses like me, I just don't want to be judged for dressing well or being a bit trendy, which it seems like I might be...

harriet

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 9:01 am
amother wrote:
Some f these replies are exactly what I was worried abt. Nerdy is the word I've heard from others regarding bayswater, not my own description of people who don't dress like me. I am open minded and don't care that everyone in my community dresses like me, I just don't want to be judged for dressing well or being a bit trendy, which it seems like I might be...

Nobody seems to be judging you for dressing well or trendy, they seem to be taking mild offense to you insinuating/repeating that people who don't dress like you, are "nerdy."

Not the same thing.

SplitPea

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 9:32 am
amother wrote:

I don't care how you dress. It's the think weblogs about Bayswater NO ONE cares what you do.

What I do care about is you calling (or repeating what others have said) my kids and me nerdy.

I think what we are trying to say is one of the beauties of this community is no one judges and if you are one to judge then you won't be happy here.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 9:49 am
SplitPea wrote:
I don't care how you dress. It's the think weblogs about Bayswater NO ONE cares what you do.

What I do care about is you calling (or repeating what others have said) my kids and me nerdy.

I think what we are trying to say is one of the beauties of this community is no one judges and if you are one to judge then you won't be happy here.

What she said :-) no one here cares what other people do or don't do. But the people here don't call each other names or judge each other by how the dress. It's mean and superficial. The people who do that wouldn't touch bayswater with a ten foot pole and that's fine, cuz we don't want judgy people here anyway.
One of the draws for me is that Bayswater doesn't feel like NY. You're close enough to all the amenities, but the NY attitudes don't (for the most part) make it in. I love that I can be myself and do my thing and no one cares. Like I said before, all my friends are different, and I love that!!

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 10:23 am
I hear what all of u are saying. In no way did I mean to insult anyone or call names. I may look fashionable, but that doesn't reflect how I relate to people. I am not judgmental at all and don't care if people think I live in a "nerdy" community. My concern was abt fitting in, and not feeling like I can't dress how I dress and buy what I buy without feeling self conscious. I guess I didn't express that well. It seems like a nice place to live, I'll just have to see if it can work for me.

gold21

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 11:27 am
Why don't u look into far rockaway or inwood?

Bayswater does have the reputation for attracting "out of the box" families- if u prefer a more "in the box" community, why not look into far rockaway or inwood?

SplitPea

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 11:34 am
amother wrote:
I hear what all of u are saying. In no way did I mean to insult anyone or call names. I may look fashionable, but that doesn't reflect how I relate to people. I am not judgmental at all and don't care if people think I live in a "nerdy" community. My concern was abt fitting in, and not feeling like I can't dress how I dress and buy what I buy without feeling self conscious. I guess I didn't express that well. It seems like a nice place to live, I'll just have to see if it can work for me.

Why the need to keep calling names? We try so hard to educate our children to accept everyone and NOT call names or label. Here you are again calling out community (or ANY community) "nerdy" honestly it's really not right.

user2

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 11:41 pm
one of the many the great things about living in bayswater is that NOBODY cares how you dress. you are not looked down upon if you wear yesterdays style, nor will anyone care if you choose to dress in frills and laces, gold and silver....

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 5:51 am
Whats wrong with the word "nerdy"? It describes a sort of person. The sort of person I usually like. I would love to live in a community full of nerds.

If you call someone a "jap" does that mean you won't fit into Bayswater?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 8:31 am
Raisin wrote:
Whats wrong with the word "nerdy"? It describes a sort of person. The sort of person I usually like. I would love to live in a community full of nerds.

If you call someone a "jap" does that mean you won't fit into Bayswater?

It's just not nice to call people names....especially after repeatedly being told that people take offense.
The type of person that you would call a jap is probably the type of person who would call someone else nerdy, and would not want to live here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating