Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Monsey schools

primavera

Post Sat, Jul 04 2015, 9:39 pm
Is there a school that monsey area people send to thats not as big as YSV but similar type?

momX4

Post Sat, Jul 04 2015, 9:40 pm
boys or girls?

Similar in which way to YSV?

primavera

Post Sat, Jul 04 2015, 9:45 pm
Both...similar in terms of being jpf..where else so ppl send? Anyone send to passaic from monsey??

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Jul 04 2015, 10:04 pm
I heard of boys going to the cheder in Passaic, I think its a Rebbe driving them. I did hear a few years back a girl commuting to Passaic for school, but her family moved there during the school year.

jpf is how I describe myself and my kids are in YSV.

There is Bais Mikra for girls, the education has changed alot for the better lately. It has a mixed crowd, yeshivish and heimish. Alot of the sibblings that I know attend Bais Mikra, its a separate school. I dont know much about either.

primavera

Post Sat, Jul 04 2015, 11:00 pm
How do u feel abt YSV? Not too big?

thanks

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 5:52 am
YSV is an amazing school. The staff is very dedicated, and the rebbeim are excellent. It's a gem of a school. Since the class size is not too big, the children get the attention they need.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 6:19 am
I have to respectfully disagree. I'm not sure if you're talking about girls or boys school, I can only speak to the girls school. IMHO the girls school is a disaster in the older grades. (Younger grades seem to be fine but its been awhile since I had a very little one). The principal only cares about tznius and projects that to the girls in the most unhealthiest of ways. The girls often come out shallow and materialistic as the level of materialism in the families is very high and the level of spirituality is fairly low unless you're in the rabbanish class. The education is so-so. Anonymous for obvious reasons.

primavera

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 6:45 am
Thanks for both ur replies! I appreciate hearing all perspectives

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 8:12 am
amother wrote:
I have to respectfully disagree. I'm not sure if you're talking about girls or boys school, I can only speak to the girls school. IMHO the girls school is a disaster in the older grades. (Younger grades seem to be fine but its been awhile since I had a very little one). The principal only cares about tznius and projects that to the girls in the most unhealthiest of ways. The girls often come out shallow and materialistic as the level of materialism in the families is very high and the level of spirituality is fairly low unless you're in the rabbanish class. The education is so-so. Anonymous for obvious reasons.

Totally disagree with this! My girls never mention that the principal talks about tznius so I, personally have not witnessed what you're talking about. (Two in older grades) Then again, the school's idea of tznius is the same as our family's standards so there isn't an issue with my girls. I did actually hear from another girl, a friend of dd's, about this (a recent ysv graduate) yesterday but honestly she was wearing short sleeves and a skirt above her knees. Now, those are HER family's standards and I'm not judging (she's a very sweet girl! ) but why in the world did her parents send her to a school who's rules and standards are so different from their family? !

I don't send my daughters to Beis Rochel because I don't believe that tights at all times are necessary as long as the socks and skirt overlap so bare leg isn't showing. And my sons go to YSV and not a more "Yeshivish" school so they can enjoy playing Pirchei Baseball in the spring (along with most of the rest of the boys in their classes!)

The materialism thing I don't know what you're talking about there. I have sent all my kids to YSV and I drive a car that is over 20 years old. I don't get this feeling at all.

And the education, seriously, in standardized testing my daughters tested on a grade 12+ reading level in 5th grade, and they aren't geniuses by any means. The older girls are constantly doing reports and studying for one exam or another. I think my daughter could've passed a biology regent after 7th grade bio with the amount of information that was taught.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 8:22 am
amother wrote:

I have to disagree with you. My siblings recently graduated from YSV and many kids in my neighborhood go to YSV and I have not seen anything that you describe here (materialism, extreme focus on tznius). I have found it to be a very well rounded, friendly school with a good education.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 8:28 am
amother wrote:
Totally disagree with this! My girls never mention that the principal talks about tznius so I, personally have not witnessed what you're talking about. (Two in older grades) Then again, the school's idea of tznius is the same as our family's standards so there isn't an issue with my girls. I did actually hear from another girl, a friend of dd's, about this (a recent ysv graduate) yesterday but honestly she was wearing short sleeves and a skirt above her knees. Now, those are HER family's standards and I'm not judging (she's a very sweet girl! ) but why in the world did her parents send her to a school who's rules and standards are so different from their family? !

I don't send my daughters to Beis Rochel because I don't believe that tights at all times are necessary as long as the socks and skirt overlap so bare leg isn't showing. And my sons go to YSV and not a more "Yeshivish" school so they can enjoy playing Pirchei Baseball in the spring (along with most of the rest of the boys in their classes!)

The materialism thing I don't know what you're talking about there. I have sent all my kids to YSV and I drive a car that is over 20 years old. I don't get this feeling at all.

And the education, seriously, in standardized testing my daughters tested on a grade 12+ reading level in 5th grade, and they aren't geniuses by any means. The older girls are constantly doing reports and studying for one exam or another. I think my daughter could've passed a biology regent after 7th grade bio with the amount of information that was taught.

As a ysv boys parent I agree with you completely. (my kids hate baseball, and boys from other yeshivas manage to play as well) It is astonishing to meet the principle outside of school, and to hear her say my dss first names and teachers. She even remembered how one ds improved in math. I am far from wealthy, yet the school knows me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics