Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Shiva Asar btammuz

Lizajen

Post Sat, Jul 04 2015, 8:07 pm
What types of activities would you do , and not do with your kids tomorrow? How are you going to spend the day? Thanx.

L K

Post Sat, Jul 04 2015, 9:06 pm
Bump

animeme

Post Sat, Jul 04 2015, 9:23 pm
When I fast and have young kids, I break out low maintenance projects and some videos. I like to print out colorable kotel pictures or other things that are about Yerushalayim, to get them in the right mode. Then I sit down near them and help as needed.

If you have the energy, you can have the kids cut out construction paper bricks and set up a wall in the house to start building a "build the beis hamikdash with mitzvah bricks" wall. Put the paper bricks in an envelope and add bricks over the next three weeks as mitzvos are done.

I would put young kids in the sprinkler or kiddie pool if it's not too hot for me, but not older. No issues with outside time or playdates; dh will likely do the playground because he fasts better than I do.

Lizajen

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 4:42 am
Thanx. Anyone else?

Lizajen

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 5:30 am
What would you do with an 11 year old son today? Would you take him anywhere? Do anything at home? How to spend the day? Any suggestions? Thanx so much.

workaholicmama

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 5:43 am
Bake cookies, continue working on a 1000 Pc puzzle

Lizajen

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 5:55 am
Thanx. Would you take him on outings that you'd do on a regular Sunday in the summer? Biking? Hiking? Zoo? Botanical gardens? Museum? Etc? Board games? Would you do anything meaningful to the significance of the day? If he wants to fast, how long would you allow him to?

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 6:10 am
workaholicmama wrote:
Bake cookies, continue working on a 1000 Pc puzzle

Same here

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 6:11 am
Lizajen wrote:
Thanx. Would you take him on outings that you'd do on a regular Sunday in the summer? Biking? Hiking? Zoo? Botanical gardens? Museum? Etc? Board games? Would you do anything meaningful to the significance of the day? If he wants to fast, how long would you allow him to?

No

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 6:11 am
Would you go up to the mountains with another family to do something today?

animeme

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 6:30 am
I would not make a fun outing day, though I might do an educational museum. Puzzles sounds like a great idea. I would see if I could get something meaningful in, but only if he wouldn't resent it. At that age, I would say that maybe he should go to shul for minchah if he otherwise wouldn't, because there is the special leining.

Fasting is partly a halachic question. Some rabbanim do not allow anyone below Bar or bas mitzvah to fast on a day that commemorates the churban, because we don't have a concept of chinuch with mourning. Others allow it's . If you're ok with him fasting and he wants to, then you have to know him and what he can handle. There are also decisions on his part. You want to fast until lunch? Beyond? You might not want to go bike riding.

Btw, I marvel at people who choose to bake yummy things while fasting. Doesn't it make you hungrier?

Lizajen

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 6:48 am
Thanx. Would you take him to a farm to pick veggies today? With or without another family?

imasinger

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 6:48 am
For me, it would depend on the child. Chanoch l'naar al pi darko. (I'm speakng about the 11 year old here.) For most, going for a walk, a hike, a botanical gardens or other nature trip, I think is fine. Or to spend time with friends. For a child who is serious and able to understand, I'd send him with DH to shul, and arrange some learning time on something relevant. Make a schedule, maybe include a chore or two, but plenty of free time. We don't allow treat-y foods on fast days, but don't limit kids in their activities.

I think it's important to help kids feel the full significance of sad days only when they are ready, and mature enough, so that they don't come to resent them.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 7:00 am
We stayed up quite late last night so we can all have a late start this morning. DC are old enough to have cereal as breakfast. Older one and I are up around 9:30am, we are all working on homeworks and extra math drills this morning.

I just don't want to do outdoor-ish activities not because I'm against it but simply because I don't want to be dehydrated myself. We usually get a bunch of local kiddies playing football in the garden.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 7:11 am
An 11 year old can fast till chatzos if he's up to it. For your own sake, try not to do anything energy consuming. Is he into crafts?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 7:16 am
I realize it's difficult because it's a Sunday so this is the time to do stuff but I wouldn't do an outdoor outing, not just to avoid dehydration. I wouldn't do any fun outings, like museums, unless the museum were a Jewish museum and there was something topical. I would take my kids to the library though.
The boredom might be hard to deal with but I think an 11 year old is old enough to understand that this doesn't hold a candle to the suffering we've experienced through history.

shevi82

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 8:48 am
I live in EY, so Sunday is a regular day. But I think it's very important to teach children that today is a sad day. My 4 year old ask me for a piece of chocolate, I said that we do not eat sweets today and explained to her that today we are very sad, and we are waiting for Hashem to build our beautiful Bais Hamikdash and then we will have a big party.
It's important that the kids understand why this day is different and yes truly sad, even if they and/or their moms are not fasting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note