Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Spinoff: would my modern orthodox friend fit in Bayswater?

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 8:48 am
I have a friend who is looking to move to a nice community where housing is affordable and people are open minded and accepting. Bayswater sounds good. The only thing is that she is modern orthodox. Is there a modern orthodox crowd in Bayswater?

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 8:59 am
amother wrote:
I have a friend who is looking to move to a nice community where housing is affordable and people are open minded and accepting. Bayswater sounds good. The only thing is that she is very modern. are there people who are quite modern living in Bayswater?

What does modern mean?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 9:05 am
I will be honest. I did not have good vibes about this thread based on the subject line. You may want to consider retitling it, Would Modern Friend be comfortable in Bayswater? You may also get more traffic. Then again, I don't know what this is spinning off frum from.
(I made a typo with frum, and decided it should stay Very Happy.)

ETA: I read the other thread. If I had to live in NY and could afford a decent-sized house, sounds like Bayswater would be on my shortlist. Hope that doesn't scare you, OP Very Happy

Last edited by PinkFridge on Sun, Jul 05 2015, 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 9:11 am
It's rare to see the word modern without orthodox following it. Modern on its own is often used by chassidim to describe people that leave the chassidishe derech to some degree. so the answer to that is, yes you will find that in bayswater. if I misunderstood that and you truly meant modern orthodox, yes you will find that in bayswater as well.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 9:50 am
done! hope it is clearer now

SplitPea

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 11:01 am
In Bayswater the vast majority of women cover their hair in some way. Do we have people who don't YES but the vast majority do something.

The vast majority of women wear skirts. Are they always covering the knee no. But I can only think of 1-2 who will wear shorts or pants.

The vast majority of people will not wear a bathing suit as the beach. Will some? Yes

Again ine of the beauties of Bayswater is it's a mix and no one really cares what you do. BUT there are not so many truly "modern orthodox" people here. So if she is looking for people like herself it might be harder.

I know we have a few halb families but I don't think we have any HANC families. (I could be wrong)

The majority of families here send to Darchei, south shore, tag, ateres Miriam, Bby, yeshiva katana or the like with a few halb families. If that gives you a better picture.

If anyone wants to visit our house if open. (As long as you don't call us nerdy Wink

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 11:26 am
If MO then Woodmere may be a better choice.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 2:13 pm
Thanks for the info.
She is looking for a community that is modern orthodox ( or has a modern orthodox crowd) but where she won't have to keep up with the Jones'.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 2:20 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the info.
She is looking for a community that is modern orthodox ( or has a modern orthodox crowd) but where she won't have to keep up with the Jones'.

Has to be NY?

SplitPea

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 2:32 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Has to be NY?

Passaic maybe?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 3:21 pm
Edison/highland park?

doctorima

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 3:50 pm
Willowbrook in Staten Island sounds like a good fit.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 6:06 pm
mill basin, brooklyn might be a good fit.

gold21

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 6:28 pm
Teaneck?

gold21

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 6:32 pm
SplitPea wrote:
Passaic maybe?

Passaic is pretty right wing- as I understand, it's very friendly... but not really MO

nylon

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 8:39 pm
HANC is west Hempstead and plainview--you won't find so many families from there in the 5T. More HAFTR for the co Ed schools crowd. She could look at west Hempstead or maybe the smaller communities, Oceanside, plainview, Merrick.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:18 am
I have MO friends who left Bayswater a few years ago because it was becoming too frum for them. They're now in West Hempstead and very, very happy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating