Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Sweaters in 90-degree weather
1  2  Next

mandr

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 1:55 pm
Why is this topic in "teenagers" and not in "Fashion"? Because I have only seen this phenomena among high-school girls.

This has got to be the strangest paradoxical situation ever. It's 90 degrees outside, the last weeks of school, final/regents time, and the high school girls are out on the street. They are wearing uniform shirts... AND SCHOOL SWEATERS!!! Heavy, navy blue sweaters. Not thin 3/4 sleeve summery cardigans. And they appear to have no idea that this looks so strange. Are they not frying?

I only see this with the girls in the more frum schools, but each time I do, I feel so bad for them! I get hot just watching the girls walking home from school all suited up for the sweltering heat.

The only reason why I could see this happening is that a girl may have a sweating issue and doesn't know how to deal with it and either her sweat would be visible, or the sweat stains from a different use.

Please, please, please: If you know of a girl who is forced to wear shirts AND a sweater during the really hot days, please tell her about Certain Dri. If sweating is not her issue, then I don't know what to say!

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 2:07 pm
It is a fashion thing though. Those girls would not be caught dead without their sweaters on. It's too "nerdy".

myself

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 2:29 pm
That's (some) teenagers for you! Super figure-conscious and still coming to terms with their new top heavy appearance. When you're starting to develop you think you're huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!

In my days we wore thin sleeveless v-necks though, no long sleeve heavy sweaters.

penguin

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 3:09 pm
Because if you tuck in your uniform blouse you might LOOK FAT! And you're not allowed to wear it untucked...

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 3:12 pm
Maybe because it's a cooler summer but I've been seeing lots of people in hoodies, not just frum kids.

alittlebirdie

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 3:12 pm
Teenagers are beyond logic. They don't think the same way adults do

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 3:19 pm
If you're talking BY of Monsey girls let me tell you a secret. Most of them are not wearing a full uniform shirt under the sweaters, they cut off the collar and top part cut off to form a "dicky" and wear it under their sweaters . Yes, It's a fashion thing, shirt is nerdy, sweater cool, don't want to wear shirt tucked, whatever. My high school sis only owns one full shirt LOL

DrMom

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 3:23 pm
Maybe the schools are over-air conditioned?

Sanguine

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 3:37 pm
mandr wrote:
please tell her about Certain Dri.
Going OT - What is Certain Dri? I now looked it up on Amazon. DD could use this (I think). Do you wear deodorant too? Do many people use it or only people with really extreme conditions?

bigsis144

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 4:27 pm
penguin wrote:
Because if you tuck in your uniform blouse you might LOOK FAT! And you're not allowed to wear it untucked...

Yup. I'm from LA, and many of the "coolest" (as in most popular) girls wore the school sweatshirt no matter what the weather.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 4:33 pm
In pupa high school and bobov the girls have no choice they must wear a sweater since there uniform shirts are see through its a rule these poor girls...

animeme

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 4:57 pm
amother wrote:
In pupa high school and bobov the girls have no choice they must wear a sweater since there uniform shirts are see through its a rule these poor girls...

Why can't they wear something under it?

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 5:35 pm
Is that a new rule? In my day in Pupa we were not required to wear sweaters.

mommyofd1

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 5:45 pm
first of all I am sure many of them are wearing sleeveless shirts underneath and even if not its because they are self conscious either about sweating or looking fat and the schools only let them wear the school uniform sweater.

Zehava

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 5:58 pm
When I was in high school we had to wear sweaters no matter the weather. Or vests.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 6:02 pm
In Bobov you are required to wear either the school sweater or vest. I think most kids wore vests, which are pretty thin.

I believe that you may be able to go without the sweater/vest if you wear a liner underneath, but in all my years there no one ever did that.

mandr

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 10:39 pm
Sanguine wrote:
Going OT - What is Certain Dri? I now looked it up on Amazon. DD could use this (I think). Do you wear deodorant too? Do many people use it or only people with really extreme conditions?

Glad you asked! It's an amazing product and I've been using it on and off for years. I don't always use it because my sweat seems to be hormonally controlled and when pregnant and breastfeeding I really didn't need to use it. But for girls? Amazing. You use it every day in the beginning ot build up a concentration and then reduce it to "as needed" (usually ever second or third day, even once a week for some people). It doesn't have a scent so it's nice to use something else but it can be a deodorant (not antiperspirant). I never had to use an anti-perspirant while using Certain Dri (it's that effective). Honestly, I wish I knew about this in high school (I wouldn't have had to wear the school sweater lol).

http://irateireview.blogspot.c......html

mandr

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 10:40 pm
I am shocked they make kids wear sweater/vest during the summer. I guess if men can be forced to wear chalats and bekeshes, then ok. Nobody I knew in school who wore a sweater all the time wore just a dickey. They had shirt-tails poking through the bottom. And often the sweaters were rolled up a bit so shirt cuff showed.

fmt4

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 10:45 pm
Wait, why are they in school during the summer?

DrMom

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 4:42 am
Suffering for fashion is unfortunately rather universal, whether it's wearing strapless wedding dresses in the dead of winter or heavy sweaters in the heat of summer.

BTW, if the school uniform blouses are too transparent, why don't they switch to a tighter weave cloth?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children