Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Which Ch. Yisrael Yogurt has live active cultures?

oohlala

Post Sat, Jul 04 2015, 7:44 pm
I can't seem to find a chalav yisrael yogurt that says that it has live active cultures in it. Am I missing something? And, no, I do not wish to make my own yogurt (although it does sound like a good idea--just not now.)
Thanks!

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Jul 04 2015, 8:06 pm
Normans
Givat
Mehadrin
J&J

oohlala

Post Sat, Jul 04 2015, 8:16 pm
Does it say so on the container?

rosebunch

Post Sat, Jul 04 2015, 8:45 pm
J&j yogurt deluxe
Says on container

Scrabble123

Post Sat, Jul 04 2015, 9:24 pm
They pretty much all have live cultures and it does say that on the container.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 6:05 am
oohlala wrote:
Does it say so on the container?

Yes

SorGold

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 7:35 am
I haveade homemade yogurt from norman, mehadrin and tnuva so I would say they have active cultures or the yogurt would not have soured...

browser

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 9:56 am
If you want to get loads of beneficial bacteria I would recommend drinking kefir, which is similar to yogurt, but has different/ stronger cultures.

mandr

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 10:56 am
Easiest way to get what you need is by taking acidophillus/probiotic supplement. Preferably the extended release type (Ultimate Flora makes a great one and you can buy them online) which will work all day instead of getting washed out with your meals.

seeker

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 11:29 am
I have researched probiotics pretty thoroughly and have never seen any suspicion or evidence of them getting washed out with meals. They were originally (as in ancient times and in the animal kingdom) eaten in foods (fermented and others) so it is not logical to think this would be a problem.

The main reason probiotics pills have enteric coatings is to protect the bacteria from being killed by stomach acid. The jury's out on whether that's a real cause for concern, but since it's easy enough to just use the coatings just in case, why not.

SorGold

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 5:40 pm
browser wrote:
If you want to get loads of beneficial bacteria I would recommend drinking kefir, which is similar to yogurt, but has different/ stronger cultures.

Have you seen cholov yisrael kefir anywhere? Kefir has a different variety of cultures than yogurt. It has many more but they are different and both are beneficial as is any fermented food (kombucha/saurkraut/kimchi etc)

mandr

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 7:47 pm
seeker wrote:
I have researched probiotics pretty thoroughly and have never seen any suspicion or evidence of them getting washed out with meals. They were originally (as in ancient times and in the animal kingdom) eaten in foods (fermented and others) so it is not logical to think this would be a problem.

The main reason probiotics pills have enteric coatings is to protect the bacteria from being killed by stomach acid. The jury's out on whether that's a real cause for concern, but since it's easy enough to just use the coatings just in case, why not.

That's why most pills will say to take between meals or before meals. A health manual I read said to take probiotics 2 hours after a meal or 1/2 hour before a meal. You want them to stay put instead of going through the digestion journey right away. The kind you get in food is fine, but if someone is actually taking a supplement you may as well get the full benefit of it and take it alone.

The kind I use comes in a capsule form. Most of the brands I've tried were all capsules.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen