Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Late invitations

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 11:12 pm
I'm having a simcha and forgot to invite several people (life got rough and I wasn't really together). Now, I want to invite them but it will be obvious that they were invited after everyone else, and I need them to rsvp soon.

What's the best way to do this? Invite them and that's that? Tell them I'm sorry for the late notice and there was a problem with invitatuons?

I'm so mortified. 😔

rachel6543

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 11:22 pm
I personally would call up each of the friends who are being invited late and say the truth. "I'm so sorry, a stack of the invitations were unintentionally sent out late. I really hope you can make it to our simcha and personally wanted to apologize for the late notice. please let me know ASAP if you can come." There's not much more you can do other than apologize at this point. Life happens and nobody is perfect. I would really work hard to make sure any thank you notes after the event are sent out as early as possible, esp to the people who were invited late.

5mom

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 11:25 pm
Mazel tov!
Yes just tell them that you messed up some invitations but you would love to have them. Most people will understand, but of course it's possible that at this point they have other plans.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 11:33 pm
Call them, tell them you're following up because you really would love to see them at your simcha but you haven't received their reply yet. They, of course, will say they never received an invitation. You'll be of course all "oh no! I'd better send another one out to you right away!"
TADA!
Cool

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:10 am
5mom wrote:
Mazel tov!
Yes just tell them that you messed up some invitations but you would love to have them. Most people will understand, but of course it's possible that at this point they have other plans.

Yes, being straightforward is best. We recently had a call from a very old friend who told us exactly this and said that he would very much like us to come. Unfortunately we did have a conflict and could not. It was the kind of thing that yes, we expected to be invited, and knew his daughter was getting married but not specifically when. Had we known when, even without an invitation, DH probably would have just gone at least for the chupah (barring the conflict of course) as he would have thought that something had happened with the invitation as our relationship is long term and solid.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 7:29 pm
Thank you, everyone. I'll go with the straightforward approach.

I hope they don't feel like they didn't rate the first cut of invites or something. Sad I don't want to make anyone feel bad.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette