Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Frozen Breaded Chicken legs - defrost or not?

debsey

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 11:01 am
I had a case of chicken, so in a burst of industriousness, I cleaned all the chicken legs, coated them in a mayo/italian dressing mixture, and breaded them. I froze them in trays. Now I'm not sure - do I defrost in the tray and then bake, or pop them directly into a hot oven? Any advice?

workaholicmama

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 11:05 am
I always bread chicken for several suppers at a time. I usually pop it into hot oven and increase baking time with at least an hour.

debsey

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 5:01 pm
workaholicmama wrote:
I always bread chicken for several suppers at a time. I usually pop it into hot oven and increase baking time with at least an hour.

Thanks Workaholicmama! You do this for bone-in chicken legs?
SO if I normally bake at 350 for an hour, I should bake at 350 for two hours?
I hope this works!
debsey

alittlebirdie

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 5:04 pm
Unless u want to defrrost it in the refrigerator from the night before

debsey

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 5:06 pm
alittlebirdie wrote:
Unless u want to defrrost it in the refrigerator from the night before

I'm worried that the breading will slide off if I do that. Have you ever done it?
debsey

alittlebirdie

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 5:09 pm
I defrost in the tray I will bake it in so I don't have to move them around once they are defrosted

debsey

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 5:11 pm
alittlebirdie wrote:
I defrost in the tray I will bake it in so I don't have to move them around once they are defrosted

Yes I have them in the right tray. Does the breading stay put?

alittlebirdie

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 5:16 pm
It should. I never had a problem

debsey

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 6:37 pm
Thanks to everyone who posted. So, I ended up defrosting in the fridge, then baking at 350 for an hour and 15 minutes. I also had it in a 225 oven from when I benched licht until the meal.
It was perfect. My husband thinks the freezing and defrosting actually made the chicken more moist and the crumbs more crunchy!
Thanks for all your help, guys! Now if I can be ambitious in August, I'd like to freeze a few more trays for those short fridays.
debsey

workaholicmama

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 7:57 pm
Sorry debsey I didn't watch this thread... glad it worked out for you!! And yes, I start to think already abt what I can prepare for yom tov, now that business is slow....
Though I hope and pray not to have what I had last year... by after Tisha bauv (when my business perks up) I had in my father's spare freezer the following:
Challas for all of tishre
3 types of cakes
Lots of chicken soup
Lots of breaded chicken, both bone in and cutlets
Few kugels
Marinated fish for abt half of tishre seudas
Don't remember what else...

Erev rosh hashuna when dh went to take out some stuff, he found an open freezer with yucky juices all over.... noone was home all summer, it must be that in one of dh dropoffs, he inadvertently left the freezer door open!!!! There went lots of work, time, and money... I'm still proud I didn't explode at him...

debsey

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 3:43 pm
workaholicmama wrote:
Sorry debsey I didn't watch this thread... glad it worked out for you!! And yes, I start to think already abt what I can prepare for yom tov, now that business is slow....
Though I hope and pray not to have what I had last year... by after Tisha bauv (when my business perks up) I had in my father's spare freezer the following:
Challas for all of tishre
3 types of cakes
Lots of chicken soup
Lots of breaded chicken, both bone in and cutlets
Few kugels
Marinated fish for abt half of tishre seudas
Don't remember what else...

Erev rosh hashuna when dh went to take out some stuff, he found an open freezer with yucky juices all over.... noone was home all summer, it must be that in one of dh dropoffs, he inadvertently left the freezer door open!!!! There went lots of work, time, and money... I'm still proud I didn't explode at him...

You didn't explode at him?! Wow, you're like the story with the Rebbe and the esrog - where the wife throws the esrog and he doesn't get mad at her, he says "an esrog I don't have and now Shalom Bayis I also shouldn't have?"
I think that's the most inspirational thing I've heard in a long time.......I'm seriously impressed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey