Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
ISO Lakewood neighborhood

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 7:52 pm
We are close to a young couple who just got engaged, and are looking to settle in Lakewood. They are baalei teshuva, in their early twenties, very frum hashkafically, idealistic and simple people, not really culturally yeshivish. The chosson is not in kollel.

They are looking for a friendly neighborhood/apartment building/development, where they will be welcomed and accepted. (They mentioned that they would like to rent in the yeshiva area, but if you ladies think that it is not the friendliest area, they would consider other areas.)

Tizku l'mitzvos!

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 8:08 pm
westgate?
washington square?

monkey

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 8:39 pm
like previous poster said...maybe they should try out "washington square" building. Its located on cedarbridge ave

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 10:17 pm
coming from another angle ....

Do they have any connections in lakewood at all? I'm asking that since it's hard to move in and not know anyone. Since lakewood is so very large it would help if they lived near people they know - no matter what neighborhood that is. Although lakewood was originally very yeshivish these days there are all types of people here. Lately there are a tremendous amount of chassidim and flatbush type people who have all moved here for the nice area that lakewood boasts including the more affordable homes. So good luck to this couple and I hope they have the support of living near friends and also making new friends.

Reesa

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 10:32 pm
I second the westgate idea. It's a very diverse crowd.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 3:40 pm
As someone who moved for the Yeshiva area to Westgate, I don't think either are ideal for a BT couple. The yeshiva area is too Yeshivshe of course.They will be culturally lost there.They can daven in Sons of Israel but who will their neighbors be?

Westgate rentals may be a better bet but if they are looking for a "community" Westgate may not be for them

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 3:48 pm
They should keep in mind it takes time to break into a neighborhood (and especially if you move before the winter, when people are not outside much....). I remember when I moved to my house, it took me 6 months to get to know people around my neighborhood. I survived because of a dear friend who lived nearby whom I could pop in to visit on a Shabbos.....

So if they know someone, it's a great idea to be nearby till they get to know more people.

Also - if they are a young couple, then a young neighborhood could make sense for them.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 12:14 am
Bumping this old thread because I now know another family who fit this description and are looking for a community in Lakewood (they have a few kids).

I was hoping for some more suggestions for them.

What can you tell me about this washington square building? I am not familiar with it.

Thanks!

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 11:37 am
Hi, we're a family of 4 kids, ranging from 10 to 2 that is considering moving to Lakewood from an out of town community. We have a lot of friends and family in Lakewood but have not told anyone this decision as we need to do a lot of research before we make this major step (and look into schools for our kids). We are looking for a warm neighborhood with people who are Bnai Torah but not super-yeshivish. We are both FFB, very frum, but we are also open-minded. My husband is working and not in kollel. We are not very familar with the neighborhoods in Lakewood. Can you recommend some names of neighborhoods with other open-minded but very frum people? Thank you very much for your help with this.

kollel wife

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 12:56 pm
I don't know new neighborhoods well as I live in an older neighborhood in Lakewood.
I would suggest contacting a real estate agent, who will be able to describe what types of people live where and also what would be affordable for you.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 1:12 pm
amother wrote:
Hi, we're a family of 4 kids, ranging from 10 to 2 that is considering moving to Lakewood from an out of town community. We have a lot of friends and family in Lakewood but have not told anyone this decision as we need to do a lot of research before we make this major step (and look into schools for our kids). We are looking for a warm neighborhood with people who are Bnai Torah but not super-yeshivish. We are both FFB, very frum, but we are also open-minded. My husband is working and not in kollel. We are not very familar with the neighborhoods in Lakewood. Can you recommend some names of neighborhoods with other open-minded but very frum people? Thank you very much for your help with this.

Heartstone could work for you - mix of yeshivish and working frum, and kids in this age range. Warm and friendly.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 1:31 pm
Chayelle, thanks so much for the neighborhood suggestion of Heartstone. I will ask our real estate agent about this. I have no idea which streets are in this neighborhood!

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 8:00 pm
Hi, a real estate agent in Lakewood told me about developments on the corner of New Hampshire and Cedar Hill Roads. Anyone familar with those areas? Are these good areas? Also there are new houses being built on Arlington and John streets. Are these good areas? Thank you.

mommyla

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 8:51 pm
Yes, Hearthstone sounds like a good fit. New Hampshire and Cedar Bridge, maybe? I don't know anything about the crowd but houses are definitely going up. I don't know if I'd try a new neighborhood... you never know what kind of place it's going to be.

sky

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 10:12 pm
If its a new neighborhood you can get a list of names of people who already signed or might sign. Not sure were you go with that if you don't know any names.

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 11:31 pm
I live near arlington and john..a big mix of pple. Some in yeshiva. Some working. Many kids in that age group.

chocolatecake

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 11:53 pm
what about the raintree area. from what I heard its a nice mix of ppl and not super yeshivish at all. its also not new development style construction. its fully detached houses with yards.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating