Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Pizza-with cottage cheese in place of pizza cheese?

peanutsmom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 12:54 pm
Has anyone ever tried this? I want to try this-as I stay away from regular cheeses b/c they are too high in fat-but I have fat free cottage cheese. Wondering if anyone ever tried it and if it was good? (I'm also subsituting the tomato sauce-for a recipe I found online-of tomatoless tomato sauce-so not sure if it will taste good anyways)

vicki

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 12:56 pm
I wouldn't. But if you do, let us know how it turns out.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 12:58 pm
I have used the whipped cottage cheese to make a white pizza with spinach and garlic. I also used some mozzarella. But why not try it without and see how it goes.

joy613

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 12:59 pm
I do that but not on pizza dough as official pizza. I take slices of bread, spread marinara sauce/pizza sauce on top, then cottage cheese. Surprisingly it is pretty good and we like it here.
Sometimes I make it as a sandwich and put another slice of bread on top.
I'm sure on pizza dough it would taste a bit different but similar enough. I think I would like it but obviously everyone has different tastes.

peanutsmom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 1:00 pm
Hashem loves me wrote:
I do that but not on pizza dough as official pizza. I take slices of bread, spread marinara sauce/pizza sauce on top, then cottage cheese. Surprisingly it is pretty good and we like it here.
Sometimes I make it as a sandwich and put another slice of bread on top.
I'm sure on pizza dough it would taste a bit different but similar enough. I think I would like it but obviously everyone has different tastes.

do you then bake it? does it turn stringy or totally not?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 1:02 pm
Yuck!

bigsis144

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 1:05 pm
I wouldn't make pizza, but I would use cottage cheese and tomato sauce for a calzone filling -- just wrap the pizza dough around it instead of just putting the cheese/sauce on top.

Add some chopped up spinach, basil and garlic, and maybe just a small amount of low-fat mozzarella for texture (cottage cheese can be watery).

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 1:06 pm
Google Rachael Ray's white ricotta pizza. You can find a low fat ricotta or blend your cottage cheese. Use her recipe as a base but make sure to season generously and taste your cheese before spreading over the pizza and baking. You will still need a handful of part skim shredded cheese.

joy613

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 1:08 pm
peanutsmom wrote:
do you then bake it? does it turn stringy or totally not?

I bake it in the toaster oven but not for too long. (but my bread is already baked so it's different than raw dough). It doesn't become stringy at all. Stays similar texture, maybe a little liquidier.

peanutsmom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 1:10 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
I wouldn't make pizza, but I would use cottage cheese and tomato sauce for a calzone filling -- just wrap the pizza dough around it instead of just putting the cheese/sauce on top.

Add some chopped up spinach, basil and garlic, and maybe just a small amount of low-fat mozzarella for texture (cottage cheese can be watery).

good idea!!! Thanks

peanutsmom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 1:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Google Rachael Ray's white ricotta pizza. You can find a low fat ricotta or blend your cottage cheese. Use her recipe as a base but make sure to season generously and taste your cheese before spreading over the pizza and baking. You will still need a handful of part skim shredded cheese.

I could do it with ricotta cheese-whats the difference b/w ricotta and cottage? do they sell part skimmed shredded cheese that's kosher? I'm always looking for lower fat cheeses-and never came across this

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 1:20 pm
peanutsmom wrote:
I could do it with ricotta cheese-whats the difference b/w ricotta and cottage? do they sell part skimmed shredded cheese that's kosher? I'm always looking for lower fat cheeses-and never came across this

Ricotta is drier and smoother that cottage cheese. Works great for white pizza. If you want to use the cottage cheese, see if you can strain it over the sink in a cheesecloth and then blend it until smooth.

Haolam shells reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese. Not fat free but it's a start.

peanutsmom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 1:33 pm
thanks ra_mom-maybe I'll try it with the ricotta.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 1:35 pm
I use skim ricotta cheese, and for toppings I use sautéed mushrooms with garlic and basil, or sautéed spinach with garlic. Delicious!!!!! I put it on a whole wheat pita.

peanutsmom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 1:42 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I use skim ricotta cheese, and for toppings I use sautéed mushrooms with garlic and basil, or sautéed spinach with garlic. Delicious!!!!! I put it on a whole wheat pita.

oh okay. Thanks-Happy to hear you tried it and its good. I hope to try it during the nine days and will report back how it goes.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 5:08 pm
I don't know the fat content, but I've made pizza with feta cheese and sauteed veggies. It was scrumptious!!

spring13

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 5:14 pm
If you can get a hold of the Moosewood REstaurant Cooks at Home book, there's a recipe for Italian tofu pizza topping that's dairy-free but actually delicious. I'm usually not into faux-cheese recipes, but this one is really good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals