Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking for a 2 bedroom apt in Chicago

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 9:51 pm
Preferably near the L

<$1600

Pets allowed

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 10:12 pm
What neighborhood are you interested in?

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 10:19 pm
mha3484 wrote:
What neighborhood are you interested in?

I dont know

I dont know Chicago

Someplace with easy access to downtown on public transport

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 10:36 pm
West Rogers park is the main community. It has all types from mo to yeshivish to chasidish. It is 2 miles from one type of commuter train to the loop (downtown). It's called the metra and most frum people use it. There is also the CTA which is about 3 miles away.

If you are very left wing mo there is a neighborhood called lakeview that is much closer to downtown.

You should be able to find two bedrooms for up to 1200. The apartments usually have for rent signs and you have to drive around and call.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 10:50 pm
mha3484 wrote:
West Rogers park is the main community. It has all types from mo to yeshivish to chasidish. It is 2 miles from one type of commuter train to the loop (downtown). It's called the metra and most frum people use it. There is also the CTA which is about 3 miles away.

If you are very left wing mo there is a neighborhood called lakeview that is much closer to downtown.

You should be able to find two bedrooms for up to 1200. The apartments usually have for rent signs and you have to drive around and call.

We dont have a car.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 11:06 pm
You can get around without a car okay but it is a major life enhancer to have one especially if you have kids.

busydev

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 11:50 pm
can you? You kinda do need a car to get around here IMO. its possible if you live in very specific places close to grocery stores and then have someone to borrow a car from or get a ride with someone to further places.

chicago is not known for its wonderful public transportation.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 12:19 am
We get along fine with one car. I could probably figure it out without a car but it would involve uber, instacart and the CTA/metra. Doesn't save much money at the end of the day.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 12:25 am
We wont have a car, so we have to work around that

Still hoping to get recommendations of neighborhoods convenient to cta. We will both work downtown

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 9:21 am
bump

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 10:38 am
I guess I am unclear as to what you are looking for. Unless you consider yourself open orthodox West Rogers Park is where the orthodox community is. You can take buses to two different trains that get you downtown.

You can use the zip code 60645 and here is the map of the eruv to give you an idea of streets. http://chicagoeruv.tripod.com/

Please let me know how else I can help you. Welcome to Chicago!

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 12:32 pm
I guess I was unclear

We are looking for an apt in any neighborhood as long as its safe, within budget, allows pets, and has easy access to cta

we actually dont want to live in wrp, from what we know of it

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 12:38 pm
Okay. Do you want to be near a chabad or any type of shul? I have friends in bucktown who are quite happy. They get a shabbos minyan. Its young, trendy, close to downtown by bus. There is Lakeview and Lincolnpark on the northside. More expensive but probably in your budget.

TBH, I have been frum for a long time so I am not so up on the rentals in other neighborhoods.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 1:23 pm
Just to be clear: lake view is modern orthodox. I'm not sure why people are making it sound like it's so left wing. The rabbi and his wife are amazing and I have heard it's a very warm and welcoming community.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 1:32 pm
The former rabbi is now the head of YCT and they have women in positions that may other MO shuls do not.

I'm sure the rabbi is wonderful but it is known to be quite liberal. If that is what OP is into, great. But its not for everyone. I really dont judge I hope I am not coming off that way.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 2:11 pm
This is all very off topic

B'kitzur: we are looking for a 2 bedroom apt that allows pets, $1600 and under, in a safe neighborhood, with easy access to cta so we can get to downtown daily and navigate chicago w/out a car

Do some other chicago imas wanna chime in? Who to call? Where is the best place to look online?

How did this turn to irrelevant hashkafa discussions?

Only on ima...

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 2:21 pm
Sorry OP. I think the majority of us live in West Rogers Park and its surrounding areas. If that is not interesting to you than we might not know of anything.

The neighborhoods above like wicker park/bucktown and lincolnpark lakeview are good starts. You can use any apartment finding site and look up those neighborhoods.

busydev

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 2:53 pm
most (all?) of us on here live in the orthodox jewish community. there are a few places with shuls/minyanim that are not in the main jewish community (mentioned above by others) If you want to be in a place within walking distance of a shul then your options are limited.

if you are fine being anywhere at all, then most of us here wont have experience with it. you can just search chicago rentals and go from there.

Also most of the kosher stores are near the jewish community, and while you def can get kosher in not kosher specific stores, if you want things like meat you will have to go to the jewish community and theres really no easy way to get there with public transportation (will involve prob 2 transfers)

thats why we are only able to tell you about the jewish neighborhoods. cause thats where most people live due to convenience of shuls and food.

but if you dont particularly care to be close to kosher food or shuls then I would say just make sure any apt you find is in the northern half of chicago. steer clear of the south side

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 2:59 pm
amother wrote:
This is all very off topic

B'kitzur: we are looking for a 2 bedroom apt that allows pets, $1600 and under, in a safe neighborhood, with easy access to cta so we can get to downtown daily and navigate chicago w/out a car

Do some other chicago imas wanna chime in? Who to call? Where is the best place to look online?

How did this turn to irrelevant hashkafa discussions?

Only on ima...

They were all trying to be helpful. Usually when frum people inquire about particular neighborhoods, they'd like to know what the hashkafa and frumkeit level of the neighborhood is. If it's not important to you, so be it, but I think you can explain that in a nicer way.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 4:41 pm
OP, it sounds like you do not want an apartment in any of the main frum areas of Chicago as they do not meet your requisites. The only slight possibility of a frum neighborhood that would is in the Lincoln Park are as above posters have mentioned. I don't think the posters here will on the whole know of apartments in the areas you would need; you may be better off contacting a real estate agent.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating