Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Salsa too hot - how to fix?

seeker

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 12:07 am
There must be something easy I can do to tone it down, right? It's just a drop too hot. Like I could live with it but much rather if it just has the kick while I'm eating it and doesn't leave a burn after that I want to wash down with something more caloric Tongue Out

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 12:18 am
Sauté some tomatoes and add it to the salsa.

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 12:34 am
Increase the amount of all ingredients other than the spicy one(s).

seeker

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 12:46 am
Lady Godiva wrote:
Sauté some tomatoes and add it to the salsa.

Thanks, I'll try that! Saute isn't exactly easy peasy but better than redoing EVERYTHING else and makes sense that could help...

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 12:51 am
seeker wrote:
Thanks, I'll try that! Saute isn't exactly easy peasy but better than redoing EVERYTHING else and makes sense that could help...

My daughter likes to cut up tomatoes, microwave them, and then add spices to them to make herself a quick dip. I never tried her specialties LOL , but they smell good.
You could microwave tomatoes instead of sautéing them, if that's easier.

seeker

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 1:13 am
Hm! I usually avoid the microwave but for this use I don't think it's going to hurt anything. THanks for the tip.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 7:07 am
I'm curious, why do you usually avoid the microwave?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 9:10 am
Are you eating this with meat or dairy?

Dairy products will naturally counteract the heat of peppers, so I add some sour cream and eat it that way. It's really good on a dairy taco salad as dressing.

If serving with meat, I can't really help you, because parve sour cream doesn't work the same way as real dairy.

You can always add a can of diced tomatoes and dilute the salsa, no cooking needed.

Smile1234

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 10:24 am
Can you share your recipe? I'd love a good salsa recipe to eat with chips! We tried once and it was a disaster. Would want to try something tried and true.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 10:28 am
A squirt of lemon juice reduces the sharpness of black pepper. I wonder f it would help in a salsa.

happyfaces

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 1:06 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I'm curious, why do you usually avoid the microwave?

Would like to know as well?

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 1:18 pm
I rarely use a microwave. I have limited counter space to begin with and its just not always practical for how I cook and store food. Its easier for me to put a baking pan or pyrex back in the oven to warm up than the micro. The radiation bothers DH but that is his own mishegas.

happyfaces

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 1:25 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I rarely use a microwave. I have limited counter space to begin with and its just not always practical for how I cook and store food. Its easier for me to put a baking pan or pyrex back in the oven to warm up than the micro. The radiation bothers DH but that is his own mishegas.

I have heard ppl saying its unhealthy. Was wondering if its true and to what extent.

seeker

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 2:06 pm
Because of the possibility that it damages the food in an unhealthy way. I am not ready to dive into researching the debates on that, because it's easier to just avoid it just in case. Many foods get a different taste/texture in the microwave so it's plausible to me that the chemical/cellular changes could be harmful as well, I just don't know. Anyway I have never been a huge microwave user, I don't even have one out in my kitchen.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 2:37 pm
Ah ok. The reason why microwaved foods sometimes taste different is due to faster evaporation, and chemical/cellular changes happen anytime heat is applied to food and speaking of which they happen all the time around us*...but whatever, if I want a discussion I'll start a spin-off. Wink

BTW you're making me crave salsa and now I'm tempted to make some. Enjoy!

*As Hank Green says when people say they don't want to eat food with chemicals: Everything is chemicals. LOL

seeker

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 2:42 pm
Yes, but there are some chemical changes that are harmful to health and some that aren't. And since it seems that there is no thoroughly researched consensus on microwave heating (sure they'll say it's safe and the suspicions are kooky, but they haven't actually researched the same things that the "kooks" are claiming so I don't think I'll ever know what's what, and the science/food/health establishment has been wrong enough times for me...) I figure I'm safer going closer to nature, which is my general food philosophy. We do know that high heat is damaging in some cases (e.g. turning regular fats into trans fats) and we also know that microwaves subject the food to blasts of high heat. So it's not so radical to be suspicious. I did grow up with frequent microwave use and don't seem much the worse for wear. But I'm happier with the conventional oven/stove anyway due to the taste/texture issue. I'm picky like that.

SRD

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 3:35 pm
Sugar! Works to tone down any spicy food without having to increase all the other ingredients.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sat, Jul 11 2015, 11:18 pm
Microwaves do not subject anything to blasts of high heat.

All they do is agitate the molecules so that all the water content turns into steam. That is only the temperature of boiling water, not awfully high, 212 degrees F. It's an interior boil, that's all it is.

212 is much less than our usual 350 in the oven, and we bake higher than that, too.

A physical dish, that contains no water itself, becomes hot in the microwave, because it has been steamed. It has also been heated by contact with the heated food.

The old ones might have leaked a little radiation around the edges of the door, but that was decades ago. Some say it's better not to stand in front of one while it's going. I don't think it matters, but fine.

I love my microwave.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics