Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Gesher, Kahal, etc in Far Rockaway/5 Towns
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 1:28 pm
My daughter is in a mainstream pre-1a. Due to academic and social issues, the school is recommending Gesher program for her for next year. Gesher is saying Kahal is also a good option. I have her set up for a psycho-educational evaluation by the board of ed in mid-April. Once that is complete and we have a 'diagnosis' or name for her problems it'll be easier to place her and find a good fit for her for next year. Meanwhile, I am trying to get as much info as possible on either program. I'm new at this and want to know what to expect in terms of what kind of program it is, teachers, what kind of issues kids have that go there, what chances are of mainstreaming in later years, etc. TIA

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 1:32 pm
My suggestion would be to call both organizations and speak with the director. Gesher is much newer- I think this year might actually be its first year. Cahal is a classroom in mainstream schools, and gesher is its own school I think.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 7:34 pm
Thanks. My daughter's principle already made contact with the schools to get info and make decisions. I'm asking on imamother to get info from other parents please.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 1:58 pm
bump

amother

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 10:25 am
I have found that special needs schools do not help for social issues at all The son Rise Program is the only program that helps with the social aspect of our childrens problems. No other program works as well. DO some research. Its worth it. Iwish I would have known about it years ago. These children dont get better as the get older , only worse.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 10:25 am
I have found that special needs schools do not help for social issues at all The son Rise Program is the only program that helps with the social aspect of our childrens problems. No other program works as well. DO some research. Its worth it. Iwish I would have known about it years ago. These children dont get better as the get older , only worse.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 11:41 am
Bumping this as I was just told to look into gesher also. Anyone have any info? To the last another what do u recommend doing for a preschool age kid with some Socail issues?

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 12:19 pm
I send my son to Gesher, and I cannot say enough good things about it! They have absolutely made a difference, he has some social issues and other minor delays, and he has made so much amazing progress this year! I am happy to answer any questions you have.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 1:20 pm
amother wrote:
I send my son to Gesher, and I cannot say enough good things about it! They have absolutely made a difference, he has some social issues and other minor delays, and he has made so much amazing progress this year! I am happy to answer any questions you have.

How old is your son? Are you able to mainstream him into one of the yeshivas next year? What's specail about gesher vs mainstreaming with extra support?

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 1:30 pm
amother wrote:
How old is your son? Are you able to mainstream him into one of the yeshivas next year? What's specail about gesher vs mainstreaming with extra support?

My son just turned four, so he's in the youngest class. He still has K and pre1-a to go, and we plan to mainstream him in 1st grade. From what I understand, Gesher kids do successfully transition into all of the local yeshivas, and they even assist with the transition. We did consider mainstreaming with extra support, but my son's EI therapists strongly advised that he attend an integrated preschool rather than mainstream, so we took their advice, and are glad we did. He would have managed ok in a mainstream setting, but at Gesher he is thriving. Classes are very small with 3-4 teachers. They work with the therapists. The teachers all have special ed background but do all the things that regular preschools do, but they integrate therapeutic stuff into their lessons- lots of sensory input and social-emotional stuff (they do the Incredible Flexible You curriculum). They have a sensory gym on premises. My son's language has improved dramatically, as has his coordination. He went from playing completely alone to having a best friend and a few other real friends.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 1:51 pm
Sounds great. Are you worried about getting him a spot for first grade? Some of the schools I called say if you don't sign up for kindergarten you prob won't get in later.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 2:02 pm
No, I'm not worried. Gesher has a person that deals with getting kids into the local schools. They make sure you get placed. Though like I said, I have 2 more years till I have to deal with that.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 9:54 pm
What is the academic program like in this school? Is it only for kids with learning challenges, or would a child who is academically high functioning (but has other issues) be appropriately stimulated here?

Is it only through pre-1-a?

What about Cahal, I see most replies are talking about Gesher, what is Cahal?

HopeMother

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 10:51 am
Gesher: Definitely not just for academic challenges, but for learning differences. They have kids pulled out of the classroom at reading time, for example, in groups of 2 or 3. They then work on those children's individual levels, be it advanced or below grade level. Many kids leave Gesher on a higher level than their mainstreamed peers due to the small ratio and individual learning that takes place daily.
I am under the impression that Gesher caters towards kids that don't fit the mold. They don't necessarily have a medical diagnosis (such as autism spectrum disorders or some genetic disorders) that would mean a special ed classroom, like Cahal, but they also don't quite fit into the mainstream class yet.
We send to Gesher for behavioral issues similar to ADHD (impulsivity...inattention...meltdowns at times...) and find our son is doing very well and fitting right in!
They have a first grade next year but are more of an early childhood center with goals to help the kids "catch up" to their peers socially to "fit in" to a mainstream classroom.
If your kids need any services they are all available in the school and most children have some therapy of some sort. Kids feel excited to go to therapy and it is another part of the day. Feel free to ask me any questions and I'll try to help.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 1:44 pm
Thank you so much HopeMother! Do you know if they qualify as a special ed school with the DOE if I want to get reimbursed somehow? Or do they have any flexibility with tuition? I have heard that their tuition is rather higher than a usual school, even if the DOE mandated the related services. My child is to get special ed support (SETSS), counseling, and OT covered by the DOE, do Gesher's therapists accept that or is it all private/separate?

This sounds like a great possibility. Geographically and financially a stretch, but especially if they can go through 1st grade maybe it's worth making it work. I have a lot of confidence that with a couple of years of work my child could be mainstreamed well with just support on the side ongoing but right now we're not sure if that's enough.

HopeMother

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 3:19 pm
I dont know their specific qualification. In order to get services you need to go through the district the school is in, forward IEP, or other pertinent evaluations... The district then provides the services in the school. No need to go out and no need to pay privately, if your DC qualifies for services through the school districts he/she will get the services seamlessly at Gesher. They are moving districts this year so I do not know if they will have the same therapists as before, but we were told all the services will still be provided.

Tuition is expensive. Much more than other schools. Id say 15K average (all grades different tuition). And they do not offer any tuition assistance as far as I know, due to the school being too small and the teacher/student ratio very low. But also much less than Cahal, whose tuition is in the 20K and up range...

Call the school and talk to the head. She is very very supportive and will guide you in the best solution for your DC, even if its not with Gesher. The goal is to place every child in the right school. And many, if not most, of the children are mainstreamed after Gesher. It is designed to give the child the skill to succeed in a mainstream yeshiva.

My DC is now in a mainstream summer camp and is doing so well at the school we are continuing next year. DC will go to a mainstream school after attending Gesher.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 2:01 am
I just want to say my child had morah melody harris, the pre1a teacher for cahal. I don't know if you are looking for pre1a or first grade, but morah melody is AMAZING!!! I wish my mainstream kids could have had her. If you have the chance to send to her, grab it. Seriously one of the best teachers on the planet!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 2:18 am
So what do people do when even regular tuition is a major stretch, and then one of their kids comes up with special needs? Sad $15-20+k per year and no assistance? And this is in NY, who has that much left over after paying for housing?!

MomTaxi

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 12:40 pm
I didn't find that to be the case. Gesher was approximately $1000 more than the 3 Modern Orthodox schools I checked, tho my friend says its $3000 over her child's school. But no where near $15k for Nursery. In addition I loved that my money is actually going to a trained Morah and that my child is not in a class with 20 other children. For many children that is a big plus.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 10:20 pm
What kind of social issues does gesher help with. how do they help social issues. do kids typically progress well for social issues vs mainstream. what about sensory issues. Is gesher a good place for kids that dont have learning differences? or would they be out of place.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers